Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lannon_gw

New bin with A LOT of bedding

lannon
13 years ago

I just started my bin a few weeks ago. The bin came with a block of coir, which we soaked and placed in the bin. Then we went out and got our worms and put that in the bin as well. The issue - the bin is nearly full (its a wriggly wranch) and its all bedding. Being a newbie, I didn't realize that there were only 200 worms in the 10 lb bag that we purchased. The rest is all their bedding - which is most likely horse manure. The next day I went out and got 300 more worms - these didn't come with any extra bedding (I learned my lesson)!

So here we are with about 300 worms (of various stages) and a massive amount of bedding. The first couple of days we added a small amount of scraps - UCG's, tea bags, lettuce, chard, and banana peels. In a week and a half not much has been eaten.

My question is - do I need more worms with all this bedding, or do I just let it go for a month or so and just add a SMALL amount of food so the little babies can get used to food versus manure as a food source. I want to add our scraps SO BADLY but I don't want to mess up their new home.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting