Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Alcohol smelling bin

Posted by Minderella 9 Lake County FL (My Page) on
Wed, May 9, 12 at 12:26

I went out this morning after working for last 2 days and the Inn smells like alcohol. What can this be caused by and how can I fix it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Alcohol smelling bin

fermentation. Lots of fruit will do it for sure. Shouldn't be a huge issue if it's not a huge area (you haven't tossed in 10lbs of pears for example) and you've plenty of other material the worms can stay in. They'll just keep away until it's finished.

If you know where it's coming from, you can aways take some cardboard pieces and mix it into what is smelling. Just whatever you do don't mix the bin in general and spread that fermentated stuff all over. But some more aeration into what is fermenting will help it stop, and will also take away any toxic gases (any alchohol will evaporate). Fermentation is a anaerobic process, so in future you might want to add more cardboard to keep air flowing when you add a similar feeding next time.

o
RE: Alcohol smelling bin

I gave alot of banana peels on sunday/ The worms are all over the banana peels but so are the red mites (I hate the red mites). Wish they would go away for good.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here