Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hibiscusfan

My Crawlers Are Here

I ordered some EF's from Earthworms 4sale late last week and they arrived this morning. I am so exceited, they were in great shape and I didn't see any that looked the least bit stressed. Hope they do as well as my EE's are doing now as I had a setback with them from receiving a bad batch. Anything that I should know about raising the Euros that is different than the redworms? Thanks

Comments (8)

• plumiebear
    12 years ago

Did you get EF or EH (Euros)? The main difference is that Euros prefer cooler temps, preferably in the 60s. EF & EE are happier in the 70s & 80s. Otherwise they're all great composting worms. Euros also tend to wander more than reds, especially in a new bin. Overhead lighting or salt jelly "fence" will keep them in the bin.

Andrew

• hibiscusfan -Northwest Ohio
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Andrew, my mistake I got EH's the Euros and am planning on keeping a light on them for awhile, will a couple days be enough, they are really lively critters!

• fam62cc
    12 years ago

Andrew;

Please define "salt jelly fence" for me. I have never heard of this.

Dave Nelson

• coachgrumpy
    12 years ago

mix a little salt into some petroleum jelly, then spread a thin line around the rim of your bin. keeps the worms from crawling out.

• plumiebear
    12 years ago

Dave,

Coach gave the general idea. Here are details I posted in another thread:

"Grind 1/2 tsp of table salt into a very fine consistency, mix it in with 1 tbsp of petroleum jelly (unscented) and smear a thin layer on the top rim of your RM tote. This has worked for me, but I would monitor the bin very closely the first night you try this. It helps if you have a red (night vision) LED lamp. You should see the worms touching the salt smear and pulling quickly back from it as if they'd received an electrical shock."

Andrew

Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks coach and plumiebear I left a light on for two nights and that seemed to do the trick, so far I haven't noticed any escapes.

Suzanne

• plumiebear
    12 years ago

Suzanne, I bought my Euros last year from the same source. Great service & great worms! Be warned, however, that Euros will suddenly wander out for no obvious reason. If your bin is outdoors, I imagine they just wander off into the garden. Indoors things can get messy. I've had to pick hundreds off the floor & walls on a couple of different occasions the first month.

Andrew

Original Author
    12 years ago

Great that could create a new interior design. Think I'll keep them in the garage or outside in summer and maybe the basement in winter. Thanks for the warning!