Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Horse manure in worm bin.

Posted by mjvaldez69 5 (My Page) on
Tue, May 27, 08 at 13:30

I have a worm bin made of straw bales and my worms have been doing very well with bedding made of shredded cardboard, shredded paper and kitchen scraps. I brought home about 20 gallons of a 33 gallon trash barrell full of horse manure, filled it up with water, stirred it up real good and drained out all the water and placed the manure on top of my worm bed.

Was this a big mistake or did I go about doing it right?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Horse manure in worm bin.

If the manure was fresh it may be too hot for your bin, and you may want to remove as much of it as you can. It can heat up the rest of the bin andkill off your worms. If it was already composted it should be OK. Cheryl

o

It has been laying out in the horse stalls all winter long and there has been alot of rain and snow melt since this last winter. It is not fresh.

o

will likely be fine, but the water thing wasn't necessary, just need to make sure it isn't too dry, and breaking up the 'biscuits' helps .... if the material is on top, it doesn't really matter if it heats up as the heat won't last long and the worms will stay below until it's cool enough

Bill

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here