Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
urgency_gw

Earthworm raising

URgency
9 years ago

Can i raise euro nightcrawlers in a 32 oz deli cup(for fishing) I go fishing a few times a year? Can i use rehydrated dried soil for the worms? Along, can i mix red worms with euro nightcrawlers? Are earthworms avalaible to purchase in grocery stores? ASAP THANKS!!

Comments (35)

• URgency
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Post asap, i need it

• mendopete
    9 years ago

The deli cup is ok for awhile, depending on how many. The soil in the "bait cup" is good for your bin. You can mix reds and euros.
    You might spend time on this forum searching and reading. Lots of good info.
    Good luck and catch a biggin'

• sbryce_gw
    9 years ago

The 32 oz deli cup won't hold many worms. You will be using them for bait faster than they will reproduce. You will need a larger bin with a lot of worms if you want to remove them for bait and not diminish the population.

• 11otis
    9 years ago

I have a backyard circular chicken wire compost bin and this year this is bin full with FAT & BIG worms. I guess they're canadian night crawlers (or just rain worms) One of my neighbours' kid had a guinea pig and I threw the used bedding in there and garden refuse. Oh and orange peels from the juicer.
    So, I think it's easier to get worms from somebody's compost pile for fishing than raising them in a small container. As sbryce mentioned, you can keep them alive in the cups for a while, after you harvested them from the composter.

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    9 years ago

The bigger the bin the larger the safety margin. The smaller the bin the more exacting worm bin management skills need to be. The cups of worms for sale often kept in the refrigerator to keep activity suspended in their tiny travel packet.

• URgency
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Could i use a powder choclate milk can if i modify it? And can dry soil be rehydrated for worms?

• URgency
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Will red wigglers work in that deli cup. I have limited space.

• sbryce_gw
    9 years ago

You will have the same problems with red wigglers in a bin too small.

• URgency
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I now mean in a choclate powder can. That is plastic. My mom/dad wont let me buy bait. And i couldnt catch them with bread/shrimp. Plus i live in arizona. So I need answers now. Now can i use a shoe box(plastic to rasie them)? How can i drill holes in the shoe box without a automated drill?

• sbryce_gw
    9 years ago

A shoe box is still very small.

If you have a philips head screwdriver, heat the tip up in a candle flame, then press it into the plastic. I drilled holes in my first bin that way.

If you can't buy bait, buying enough worms to keep a population going while you take some out for fishing could be expensive. My bin setup cost me around $50. But I can see that you are trying to save money by salvaging something to use as a bin.

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    9 years ago

Items to use for vermicomposting instead of a purchased bin:

Old 5 gallon bucket

Cardboard box lined with a plastic bag

Old turtle sand box in the shade

Old milk crate lined with a plastic bag

Old 7 gallon water bottle cut down

Old bath tub in the shade

Compost heap on the ground in the shade

• chuckiebtoo
    9 years ago

Plastic shoeboxes work great for worms....I have lots of them. When it becomes time to do something because of overcrowding, buy another one (a buck @ lots of stores) and split the 1st one in half.

And so on........

cb2

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    9 years ago

That is a lot of worm bins. I can certainly appreciate they weigh less. Something beekeepers dream of in their hobby. The other fun thing is you get to play with a different one each day. There is always one ready to harvest if you feel like doing so that day.

• URgency
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, i go fishing a few times a year. And i cant find a single worm in arizona.

• URgency
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I mean what left of the old worms i have left(NOTE: the small new ones are left while the old ones(how long do worms live?) will be used as bait. I mean small enough so i can put it under the bed.

• URgency
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I mean i take out 20 or so and go fishing with them.
    I cant find a neighbor with a compost bin.

This post was edited by URgency on Mon, May 26, 14 at 20:19

• terrafoe
    9 years ago

Have you tried luring native earthworm population? Buying worms to start off can be expensive and like others pointed out a smaller bin is usually trickier to manage.

To make holes I carefully used a pen to punch holes in the tops of my bins.

Dry soil could be rehydrated but it probably won't make good bedding for the worms. Torn up, moistened newspaper and (low printed) cardboard will probably be much easier for you to get and more comfortable for the worms.

I've had some experience with worms many years ago and am just starting over again (roommate moved out and took them along, even though I paid for them... curses!) but am on a very low budget this time around. If your school has an environmental club you might be able to find someone who is willing to share a bit of their worm pile - that is how I am getting my red wigglers.

Keep in mind it may take a week or two for the worms to get used to the new setup... our experiments in class was about 80-100 per shoebox after a couple months of feeding. Twenty might make a big dent unless you have them at carrying capacity.

• terrafoe
    9 years ago

Edit: Double posted, sorry!

This post was edited by terrafoe on Tue, May 27, 14 at 3:47

• URgency
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My backyard soil is sandy, dry, and what the sonaron desert is. I see only a few worms in Maryland, I couldn'y do that, There are no worms in arizona.

• URgency
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What i mean to say is that during the hot july and august i can raise enough worms but september to go fishing.

This post was edited by URgency on Tue, May 27, 14 at 11:26

• terrafoe
    9 years ago

I don't think soil would be a good idea for bedding. Maybe a pinch to help get the microbes (if there are any) settle in the bin and help out the worms.

A quick search for "arizona worms" turns up a few places that sell composting worms. Lowest price I saw ~30$ a pound. So there are definitely worms in Arizona!

I strongly recommend using the school's environmental club as a resource - maybe you can encourage them to start a bin and suggest people being able to take some home. Or talk to the school's biology teacher(s) and see if any have a bin at home. It doesn't hurt to ask, especially since you are on a very low budget and in a rush.

• URgency
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am out of school for the summer. And they didn't start one.
    I am planning to buy 50 worms for 7.99 on ebay(euro nightcrawlers). And i know that i cant introduce earthworms in my backyard since the outer part is dry. It is find old worms and put them in plastic deli cups to use for fishing.

• terrafoe
    9 years ago

Fifty worms will definitely fit in a plastic shoebox, just make sure they're kept cooler since Arizona is hot, you don't want to keep it so cold that they don't breed or eat but you don't want them to bake, either! There are some good resources that talk about how to keep hot worms cool and alive. Good luck!

• sbryce_gw
    9 years ago

If you start with 50 worms, you may not have enough to go fishing this September. But if you care for them properly, you will be able to go fishing as often as you want to by next year. The difficulty with trying to figure this out is that when we measure worms for composting, we measure total weight, not total worms. By September, you may have enough worms to remove a few, but most of them will be smaller, immature worms. By next year they will be mature and breeding, as will their offspring, and probably their offspring as well. Then you can easily pull a couple dozen out to go fishing with without harming the total population.

• URgency
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There will be another worm bin(shoe box size or smaller) where i can keep worms so i can go fishing.

• URgency
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Also, i plan to use expired fish food as one of the food for worms. My mom is scared of worms and i am 13. So do they sell Euro nightcrawlers at Wal-Mart?

• Niivek
    9 years ago

If you just want bait, try meal worms. They like it more dry that composting worms and they are super easy to manage. Get some meal worms from the pet store or bait shop for like 2 bucks. Put them in a shoebox and put some raw oatmeal in it, maybe two inches thick. They can live off that for at least a year. You might need to mist it with water or put a carrot in once every couple of months. They will go through a metamorphasis and come out beetles, reproduce and die.
    You shouldn't have to worry about keeping them cool. I've got mine on a shelf in my bedroom closet.

This post was edited by Niivek on Wed, May 28, 14 at 13:35

• URgency
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Do mealworms attract catfish, bass, and trout? If they don't, i will still try to raise worms

• URgency
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I also want to compost the leftovers(not dairy or meat).

• mendopete
    9 years ago

Red wigglers make excellent bait for catfish, bass, or trout. I have caught many using them, along with other species. The trick is to use a small hook, size # 8 or 10,
    If your wallmart has Euro's, they usually come 12-15 per cup. Red wigglers usually come 50+ per cup. You can open the cup and check inside to make sure they are alive and healthy.
    Now time for math. As a rule of thumb, you can expect the worm population to double every 3 months. If you are successful at raising your worms, and you do not use any for fishing this year, you could have 800 or more red wigglers by next summer. You may have 200 Euro's in that same time.
    Bait your hook 200 times or 800 times next summer, your choice.

Urgency, patience is important in worm raising. Start raising worms now and hopefully never buy bait again by next year. In a couple years you may sell some worms, making money for a new pole or reel!

Good luck, happy worming and catch a big one.

• URgency
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, i will use ethier a Frabillî Lil' Fisherman Worm Box and a shoebox(plastic) to raise em' worms.

• sbryce_gw
    9 years ago

Total biomass doubles every three months. You will have many more than twice the number of worms, but most of them will be immature and too small to use as bait. But when they mature, you will have many more than twice the number of worms, and they will be reproducing, given enough food and space. That is when you can start pulling some out for bait without depleting the population.

• URgency
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My plan is to buy two sets of worms, one (canadian nightcrawlers) and euro nightcrawlers. The former is used for fishing for now. Now can i keep canadian nightcrawlers in the fridge for a few months?

• terrafoe
    9 years ago

I don't know because I do not raise Canadian nightcrawlers. However, doing a Google search of "canadian nightcrawler temperature" suggests keeping them fed with good bedding at ~40F will be fine for a couple months. Doing a Google search of "refrigerator temperature" says most fridges are below 40F. Check your refrigerator temperature and see how cold it is. They will need a larger space than deli cups as well though.

Here's a forum page I found by searching your question!

Here is a link that might be useful: Keeping worms in fridge

• URgency
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Are euro nightcrawlers invasice to AZ

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living