Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wood ash to raise the PH in a bin?

Posted by antoniab 5 (My Page) on
Thu, May 13, 10 at 14:15

When someone get a bloom of mites, I have often read people advising a layer of peat moss to dry off and raise the PH in a bin.
But peat moss is very acidic, right?
I have also read of people adding lime to a bin to raise the PH, or egg shells.

Could one also add dolomite? Or wood ash? would those hurt the worms?
Have you tried either of these?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wood ash to raise the PH in a bin?

Worm skin is like our most tender skin.

Wood ash is used to make lye.

A person can be burned from lime.

I am not familiar with any long term posters on any of the boards that add line. If they do I doubt it is more than a tablespoon a month to a large active bin.

o

IMNSHO, if you overthink the pH thing, you will cause more problems than you will solve.

o

Many of us add crushed egg shells

o

sbryce, I am glad to hear you say that. I was going to ask next, how the heck to distribute said ph-balancing-material-of-choice through my flow through bin, if I decide the PH is off.

I think I will leave it alone.
I tend to fiddle too much.

o

How are you going to determine if the pH is off? How are you going to determine how much of what substance you need to add to the bin to adjust the pH? How are you going to insure that the necessary chemical reaction actually takes place?

Yes, leave it alone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here