Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are these red wrigglers? Help a newbie :)

Posted by zone13 9 (My Page) on
Sun, May 8, 11 at 14:21

Are these red wrigglers? If they aren't, can I still use them in a worm bin? I collected them in the top 4 inches of rich soil amended with fish emulsion, also, there was quite a lot of leaf litter on top too. They wriggle vigorously when touched. Thanks in advance!
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are these red wrigglers? Help a newbie :)

Probably not. No "stripe" pattern & the coloring looks more bluish/gray rather than reddish/brown with yellowish tail. How big are they? Mature reds are in 3-5" range. Here's a good photo of a red wiggler. Note the clitellum is fairly prominent.

There are thousands of species of earthworms. All of them that I've come across wriggle when touched or exposed to light. Tell us a little more about where you are, ambient temps, etc.

Andrew

o

I'm just outside of Houston, Texas, winter lows usually don't drop below 20F and summers are in the 90s. Current daytime temperatures are in the 70s and 80s. Could these be Alabama Jumpers?
Thanks!

o

I've never seen a Jumper. Browse through this album and see if anything looks familiar:
http://vermicomposters.ning.com/photo/albums/collection-of-worm-species

This site has a short description of some of the species:
http://thegardenforums.org/viewtopic.php?t=126

o

"If they aren't, can I still use them in a worm bin?"

I think you can. All earthworm will digest organic matter and produce worm casting....I think.

o

Some earthworm species don't do well in small containers. The Jumpers need deep beds with compacted material. The common nightcrawler (L. terrestris) also need deep beds, but looser bedding. Neither are very good for vermicomposting systems.

Andrew

o

Edit to my previous post: Jumpers will do fine in ~6" deep bed of compacted soil. It won't hurt to give them 12" of soil with 4" of leaf litter on top. Bury mushy food scraps on top of the soil & underneath the leaf litter.

Let us know if you start a bin with these. I just started a L. terrestris bin with 12" of un-compacted soil. (I found them burrowed in compacted soil and had to crumble the dirt clods.) There's only about a dozen of very small worms in there right now. I'll throw in others as I find them in the garden.

Andrew

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here