Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nhrdls

When/How to split the bin?

nhrdls
9 years ago

I'll be the first one to admit my worm bin is not "mature". Its barely two months old.

We do generate lot of scraps, but since worms are not able to handle it, they go to compost bin. Being urban dweller with a small yard, I have hard time meeting the green/brown balance required to produce the compost. So it becomes a headache to keep compost pile not stinking. Other day, my compost pile started stinking because of wet conditions created by papaya/water meleon rinds. May be this addition was just last straw, but I had to add some bedding materialthat I normally save for worms, to get smell under control. As kitchen scrapes are mostly green, I am thinking chances of this happening again are high.

So current thought is to split my bin in two bins. After both bins adjust the population, they will start eating scraps much faster.

Is it too early to split the bin? Should I give it more time to stabilize and allow worm population to grow in one bin and start eating more food.?

If not, what will be the best way to split? Just divide existing contents half and half and fill remaining contents with new bedding?

Comments (2)