Expired oatmeal

Expired cranerry sauce canned

Bread

yeast (for baking)

Karen

Comments (11)

• wendrew8
    13 years ago

...while we're on the subject, how about hard boiled eggs? Or can they just have the shells?

• alabamanicole
    13 years ago

I avoid canned goods; they tend to get the bin too wet and anaerobic. A reasonable amount should be fine.

Oatmeal will be fine, but I wouldn't feed any with the flavors and chemicals in it.

Bread is totally fine. Just be aware that any large slices will likely grow a huge crop of mold and they take a long time to break down enough for the worms to tackle it.

Hard boiled eggs will be eaten, but they will rot and smell. Skip the eggs.

Yeast... I've fed the worms expired yeast. No issues, but I wouldn't feed a lot. Yeast tends to get warm as it is decomposing, and slimey -- which blocks off air.

• karendee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wonderful advice! Last night hubby threw out some stale bread and I was wondering if I should save it.

My bin is on the dry side because I added some old potting soil and dry leaves from some dead plants (forgotten in the basement, oops) Those things were really dry! I added a little water but may add some more water or wet foods.

I added a little oatmeal and saved the can near the worm bin and will add it a little at a time. I hate to throw it away it was a large plain container of oatmeal for making cookies (that we forgot to make)

I am thinking of going to goodwill or another thrift shop and getting an old blender for the foods to get chopped up. The bread could go in too.

Thanks for the help!!!
    Karen

• sbryce_gw
    13 years ago

The oatmeal and bread will be fine in small amounts. Besides the mold problem, grains tend to heat up in the bin, and that can kill your worms. In small amounts, worms love them. The are best mixed with other foods, or sprinkled lightly on top of the bedding.

• karendee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks sbryce. I mixed the oatmeal with the dirt I added already. I saved the can of oatmeal to add more later.

I like the idea of blending or mashing all the worm food before adding. I may try that in a few weeks.

I think by the time I can add more food I will have too big a stash of food for the worms to handle anyway.

I sure hope I do not kill them!

Karen

• ttac
    13 years ago

what about seaweed after a good rain, a thin layer in my bin shouln't produce any heat right.
    has anyone experimented with seaweed?

• randomz
    13 years ago

Wash off the salt first?

• karendee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

seaweed would be great for the garden too! I would just burry some by a plant.

• gordosoar
    9 years ago

I mixed some rabbet food with water and added some yeast to get it going.
    I'm going to let this sit for a week or so and then add a small amount to the bin. Do you think this will be ok for the worms?

• hummersteve
    9 years ago

I have mixed oatmeal with cornmeal ground up and added direct to the bin no problem. But normally I will save a lot of scraps including oatmeal in ziplock bags and it will all be run thru my juicer and then saved in my large coffee can till needed.

• hummersteve
    9 years ago

I have ground up oatmeal before and mixed it with cornmeal and just sprinkled on top or even just the cormeal by itself and they use it pretty quickly.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz