Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
belindach

New bed w a few questions.

belindach
14 years ago

Last night was the first night I didn't keep a overhead light on the bed. 10 worms took flight and died. Is this normal? My bed is in a tub with newspaper and a little on the dry side. I mist once or twice a day. I have put some food in the bed but kept it light. A little zucchini which is mostly gone and now some tomato peelings with a little coffee grounds. The temp is about 74 at night and 85 during the day. The worms have divided up into at least 3 balls about 1/2 a cup in size and there are worms throughout the bed. Are the balls normal?

Comments (11)

• digger51
    14 years ago

I had that same problem a couple of years ago when I first started. If your worms are balling up it because they are getting ready to travel. The only other reason they ball is for warmth. Which is not your problem. I would try adding more water to make the bed more moist. Also add some food they can eat right away. Old banana or something like that. Manure would be great if your have access to it. Just to get them settled in.

• bostonguy
    14 years ago

I solved this problem by putting a layer of cheese cloth at the very bottom of the bin. [My bin consists of stackable 3 wooden trays with wire-cloth at the bottom of each tray and the bottom one with the worms.] The one drawback I can think of, of this approach, is that in those instances when the worms are escaping because the conditions in the bin have become inhospitable (which can be a red flag), it will prevent the worms from moving out and keep them within the bin. But I also check my bin every 2-3 days, so I'm hoping that I will be able to notice and correct any imbalances within the bin sooner and without having the worms shrivel and dry up on the floor - though they may die inside the bin, or move to a different place.

• belindach
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I added more food yesterday which was shredded zucchini from the freezer. I did mist the shredded newspaper yesterday. I lost 7 more last night. I have holes drilled along the upper side. I'm wondering if worms are moving around during the night and out the holes accidentally. I have found a few pairs mating so not all are unhappy. I could try covering some of the holes tonight or putting sheets of newspaper over the bed. There are no drain holes so they are not escaping in that directions. I appreciate you all's help.

• belindach
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The balls are gone but I lost another 10 worms last night. It is moist enough, there is food and the temp is fine. How do you lock these guys up?

• kathmcd7
    14 years ago

Quote from Kelly Slocum, who posted here in the past; "For the first few weeks after a bin is newly established a few worms will continue to flee the bin and end up dried on the floor. This is normal, not indicative of a problem, and generally stops after a few weeks." You can search her posts using her name in the search. She had a lot of helpful info. Hope this helps.
    Kath

• belindach
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Kath. Last night I had 2 die which is a big improvement. I taped off all the side holes and added holes to the lid for air. There are worms tracks along the sides but none across the top. Tonight I'll clamp the lid down in case they are raising the lid with their little arms.

I had originally put holes along the upper sides because we will get strong winds along with rain. I was afraid this might drown my worms. They are under a patio but if conditions are right they might drown. During late night they are traveling.

• 11otis
    14 years ago

Maybe keep the overhead lights on a little longer until the tub is established to their liking.

• belindach
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Suicides dropped to 2 a night and now none. They seem fatter and a softer pink shade. I did add a scoop of compost and some of the worms hang out in that area. I am keeping the bedding more moist. To dry is just as bad as to wet. Thanks everyone.

• chevere33
    14 years ago

Mine pretty much ALL tried to escape the first evening I had them, then I read somewhere to put a layer of very dry bedding at the top. I put about an inch on the top, and they have all stayed tucked in bed for the most part.

• west-58
    14 years ago

Im a bit confused here?! Are we talking about composting for gardening, or raising worms?

• belindach
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We're talking raising worms but it was suggested worms liked compost so I added a scope from my regular compost bin. I found a couple of dead worms in the tub and one more suicide but everything else looks good. The container is moist, cool, and the smell is of dirt. The worms are evenly spread out in the bed.

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms