Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vermipirate

Pancake mix?

vermipirate
14 years ago

found an expired box of whole wheat pancake mix is this cool to feed to my worms? ill try to find a post to the nutritional stuff if that helps, i thought sugar might be a problem but there is allot of sugar in fruit

Comments (9)

• vermipirate
    Original Author
    14 years ago

INGREDIENTS: WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR, ENRICHED BLEACHED FLOUR (BLEACHED WHEAT FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMIN MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID), LEAVENING (SODIUM BICARBONATE, SODIUM ALUMINUM PHOSPHATE, MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE), BROWN SUGAR, SUGAR, DRIED MOLASSES, SALT, WHEAT GERM, HYDROXYLATED SOY LECITHIN, SOY FLOUR.

CONTAINS WHEAT AND SOY INGREDIENTS.

• sbryce_gw
    14 years ago

Sugar should not be a problem. Salt might be a problem, but some say it is OK in very small amounts. I would not put a lot of this in the bin at one time. grains tend to be a bit messy in a worm bin. In small amounts, especially mixed with other food, they are OK.

Grains tend to heat up, clump, and turn into a moldy mess. After several weeks, microbes will finally take hold, and the worms will have a feast.

• cathd66
    14 years ago

I'd be tempted to mix it with water, nuke it in the microwave to cook it into a big 'cake' and feed it gradually that way. It would reduce the risk of it clumping in the bin.

• fosteem1
    14 years ago

I feed grain type feed weekly with my egg shells, with any grains don't add a lot at a time. Less is more.

I powder my eggshells and mix them into any flour type food i have and put it into a small jam jar i made into a 'salt' shaker. Then every time the worms are fed i 'salt' a little on the top. A little more than you would add if salting your own food. It gets ate quickly.

Currently its powdered oat meal. Lkettel posted a recipe a while back and the worms love it. He uses whole oatmeal i just modified it to fit the holes in my shaker.

I mix up a shaker full at a time. I drilled 1/4 inch holes in the lid of the jar to make the shaker and use a lid off another jar to store the mixture when not in use to keep it from drawing moisture and bugs.

• wormnelly
    14 years ago

Wouldn't the cake (nuking the mix) result in clumps? I've put old bread in my bins and ended up with a green, moldy clump that I had to break up by hand - eeeeeeeewwwwwww

So now I bust up the old bread, toast into very small pieces.

• sandy808
    14 years ago

I learned the hard way about things like flour tossed in the worm bin. Nasty! I think I'd cook the mix up into pancakes, and then feed pieces of the pancakes mixed in with chunky veggies. I freeze my surplus compost materials. I label the packages "compost" so that family members don't think it's food, although it might make for a good laugh or two if I didn't.

Sandy

• lkittle
    14 years ago

Hi All; Check out the ingredients If IT has SALT or any ALCOLIDES such as SODIUM BICARBONATES or SODIUM ANYTHING or HYDROXINATED ANYTHING process it by cooking it first then giving in small feedings.

• steamyb
    14 years ago

Greetings! I use a "grated parmesan cheese" container to store and sprinkle crushed eggshells in my bins. Seemed like a good re-use for the empty container and I am too lazy to drill holes to make a shaker. The cheese container would work well for flour or corn meal mix, or any powdery substance, but only holds 8 oz. so that may be a problem.

• mndtrp
    14 years ago

I would sprinkle it over the lawn and be done with it.

I have a feeling that the amount of time it would take to slowly add it to a bin without causing a sludgy mess wouldn't offset any intended benefit to adding it in the first place.