Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trivedi_south

Atlanta

trivedi_south
12 years ago

Any vermicompost enthusiast who in Atlanta area who can help me build my first vermicomposter?

Thanks.

Comments (7)

• herronfarms
    12 years ago

I have over 200 blog post's and countless links to Vermicomposting, Vermiculture, Organic Living, and if that isn't enough you can email me for one on one help, no charge. I live in Dawsonville Ga. 30534 and own and manage Herron Farms i Dawsonville, http://www.herronfarms.webs.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Herron Farms Dawsonville

• plumiebear
    12 years ago

Scroll down to "DIY Worm Bins" for some ideas. Many are very easy to build. A static tote or tray don't require any building.

http://vermicomposters.ning.com/forum/topics/vermicomposting-topics-a-list

Andrew

• trivedi_south
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Herronfarms and Plumbie...I will check out the website. I am a girl...not used to tools and such :-(

• plumiebear
    12 years ago

Here's a basic tote system that only requires drilling a few vent holes. Although I never completed the experiment, this bin has a thriving population of worms.

http://vermicomposters.ning.com/profiles/blogs/three-months-and-a-pound-of

Andrew

• kathmcd7
    12 years ago

It's great you are interested in vermicomposting. I use 18 qt. dishtubs, without holes, to vemicompost. I put cardboard on the bottom, and use shredded newspaper and cardboard for bedding. I have three bins, and it's worked very well for 3 years in the garage. Every couple of months, I have extra worms to share. Inexpensive and easy.

• trivedi_south
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Kathmcd. Do you have pictures to share?

I am going to use my long wkend to make vermicompost bin.

Right now I have three mounds in the backyard with fall dead leaves. I bury all my organic waste (veggie peels, coffee grounds, fruit peels, egg shells etc) in the middle of the leaves and cover it up with dried leaves. I have been putting water to soak it down and I have also started to turn it.

ITS is NOT vermicomposting. Composting...cold composting even.

I haven't added green grass clippings yet. Last year I did and the compost was REAL hot. However when I used that compost in my raised veggie patch, my tomatoes were adversely impacted because of the pesticides in the grass that my neigbor had used.

When I dig up the area around the compost, while turning the compost, I see lots of earthworms (from earth...not store bought or anything like that). SO that is good sign. Nature at work.

I also have started to put soaked-wet newspaper and it is decomposting very well. Like someone else said it here, worms love newspaper. Its true.

The only problem is the flies. Tiny ones. It is outdoors..so I don't really care...still hate the flies. I keep covering up with dried leaves to get rid of the flies. Yuk.

Thanks,
    T

• kathmcd7
    12 years ago

Hi T., I found bins in the kitchen dept. of a big box store. They are about 14" x 16", and 7" deep. Bedding is 2/3 shredded newspaper and 1/3 shredded cardboard. Cardboard tears easily when wet. Add a handful of dirt for grit and keep wet like a wrung out sponge. Freeze your food scraps for 3 days to get rid of bugs or eggs for an indoor bin. I use a small container on the counter and rotate it in the freezer. I started with the big tote bins and they got heavy. Started with all the holes and that was messy. I feed every couple of days on one end of the bin, with the pocket method. Really simple. Sorry, I don't know how to add pictures.(yet)
    Kath

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living