Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennypat_gw

Advice using worm compost Please

First some background.

I have had worms for 3 or 4 years now, in a large bin in my basement. The mother of a friend died, and had a couple bins in her home, and I was glad to take one. When I say bins, this is really more of a coffin! It's a Styrofoam cooler, about 4' long 15" high and 2' wide. holes in the top for ventilation.

When I first received it, it was about 1/2 full, I did my research and harvested the compost by moving it all to one side, and starting fresh on the other. Waited about 3 months and harvested. Then used the compost on my flowers.

Now here I am 3 years later, I have not harvested since the first time, just kept feeding them. (Yeah I know I should have done it sooner!!)One of the things we feed is shredded paper. My DH and I shred all our mail and it goes into the worm bin. Along with kitchen scraps and etc.

Now we come to my needed advice, I am harvesting my compost again, and discovered that I neglected to tell my DH to take the little plastic windows off the envelopes when he shreds them. SO I have compost full of plastic bits, which I don't want to put in my garden!

I decided to use the compost as a tea instead. Straining it to remove the plastic bits, using it as a soil drench around my plants. BUT I don't know how much to use, if it was compost I would put it on about 2" thick. As a soil drench I am at a loss.

And after I have made my tea, what do I do with the sludge at the bottom of the bucket? Or do I stir up the tea to incorporate that into the drench?

Thank you

Comments (2)