Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to correctly feed

Posted by maryt1061 9 TX (My Page) on
Sat, May 23, 09 at 17:08

Should I let the worms finish off all food before adding more? Know I shouldn't have peeked today but just had to. There was tons of worms all over the food I had added and it still had a bunch left. I think. It appeared all wet and mushy. Should it???? Fed them Monday 18th and was 11 oz. for two lbs. of worms. Oh geezeess...I hope they are ok. Thanks. Mary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to correctly feed

Wet and mushy is good. That means the microbes are having a feast. Since worms don't have teeth, and it is the microbes that they live off of, wet and mushy is what the worms need.

When to add more food is something that you will have to learn to judge for yourself. It may take a few days for food added now to become wet and mushy. I would wait until the food in the bin now is mostly gone, but not completely gone. That way the worms will be finishing off the old food while the new food begins breaking down.

Part of this will depend on how much you feed, what you feed and how you prepare it. Some foods take longer to break down or have a strong odor no matter how well you manage the bin. Other foods break down quickly and don't smell.

o
RE: How to correctly feed

Yes, wait until the food is all gone before feeding again. Mushy is just fine. They will eat it all. Sometimes when starting a new bin, it takes them a while to adjust.

I wrote a page on feeding worms if you want some more info.

Good luck and don't worry too much. ;-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Feeding Compost Worms

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here