Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fuzzy white mold in worm bucket drainage holes

Posted by bigdirtyboy wisconsin (My Page) on
Mon, May 11, 09 at 17:13

Please help if you can! This is my second year using a red worm compost bucket. last year i had no problems, just huge success. This year i am using the same bucket and doing the same system. The only difference is that my wife did not like the looks of the bucket on blocks with a lid underneath to collect the black seepage it would smell and was very unsightly. So to please her i built a cedar box around my plastic bucket, and built a tappered bottom so that the black seepage would convienently collect into a mason jar. So now my bucket is in a dark box with a hinged lid. I also drilled 6 large holes in the cedar box so that it would vent through. Now i have white fuzzy mold growing from my drainage holes of my plastic bucket. What can i do to stop the mold? or does it not even matter? please help! thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fuzzy white mold in worm bucket drainage holes

You should be ok. Mold is one of the inhabitants of a worm bin. As well as a food source for the worms. Add some DRY shredded newspaper or DRY shredded cardboard.

o

thanks leearnold! do you think that there might not be enough venting on the cedar box surrounding the plastic bucket? there is no mold in the bucket, it grows from the bottom drainage holes in an icicle formation on the underside of the plastic bucket! thanks again!

o

You say that there is no mold in the bucket, only at the drainage holes? Why do you have so much liquid draining from the holes?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here