Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My worms arrived---YEAH (and a big thank you)

Posted by karendee 5Wst. of Chicago,IL (My Page) on
Thu, May 13, 10 at 17:23

I added them to the bin with a few tidbits of food scraps on the other side. I also covered with lots of paper that was shredded.

Some looked dead but I laid the bag on top and added a light and most have crawled away by now.

I am so happy. I also realized I have a couple packs of frozen veggies that are past their date and lots of freezer burn so I may add those in a few weeks when the worms are ready for food,

Thanks for all your help everyone!!!!

Karen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My worms arrived---YEAH (and a big thank you)

Congratulations karendee and please stop worrying. Everything will work out fine.

o

Yay! Keep us posted on how they are doing!

o

• Posted by karendee 5Wst. of Chicago,IL (My Page) on
    Fri, May 14, 10 at 9:34

thanks! I am so worried I am gonna kill them :)

I checked a few hours later and all the worms dug in. So of course I pulled some paper up and found a few worms balled up in the paper. I sure hope I have enough organic matter decaying for them to eat.

The worms were a lot smaller than I expected though. Also, i know for sure the ones in my garden beds are different. the ones in the beds are red but do not have the same look.

Karen

o

From your posts, it sounds like they have more than enough food. They can go a long time eating bedding alone. They don't eat a lot when they're first settling in too. Don't make the mistake of overworking them the first week. I basically loved my first batch to death by constantly adjusting wetness in bin, trying to keep it well aerated, and worrying too much about food. I probably wouldn't feed them again for a week or two and just let them get settled in.

o

• Posted by karendee 5Wst. of Chicago,IL (My Page) on
    Fri, May 14, 10 at 16:34

thanks for the advice! I assume as foods decompose more moisture will be added?

I just checked and still damp but the top piece of cardboard was getting dry.

I will not add any more food for a while, I promise.

I guess with a flow through I am worried it might get too dry.

Karen

o

""I just checked and still damp but the top piece of cardboard was getting dry.""
If you have a mister bottle (?) it is OK to mist it, just to ease your mind.
While that evaporates, it will pull air flow from the bottom. That's what I've read.

o

Yes, as the food decomposes, it will release moisture, and the bedding will soak it up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here