Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help starting a worm bin

Posted by piranha338 8/9 (My Page) on
Fri, May 9, 08 at 18:14

Hello everybody, I am interested in trying vermicomposting. I currently have some "normal" compost decomposing in a 60 gallon drum. My family tried vermicomposting years ago, but we got infested with flies and maggots. I want to try it again, but being a college student I don't want to spend much money. Could anybody offer advice on how to make a cheap vermicomposting bin? Thanks, any help is appreciated!
Brian

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help starting a worm bin

get a 17 gallon rubbermaid tub, fill it with the finished "normal" compost, throw in some worms, and you're started with "abnormal" composting .... make sure the compost is past any chance of heating up, keep it quite moist, add kitchen waste as you have it [in quantities that won't heat up] and watch what happens

alternatively, you could make a wooden box about the same size as the rubbermaid tub, or a bit larger, if you have access to free scrap wood .... whatever for a framework and plywood for the sides

Bill

o

you'll need to make it fly proof this time so you dont have the same problem. make a lid for it and attach some screen over any ventilation holes or openings you put in the bin to keep the flies out.

o

rubbermaid bin with lid-- drill small-ish holes in bottom-- keep lid on-- fill with shredded b&w newspaper, leaves, and put kitchen waste in, always put it under the dry stuff- add more dry material if it starts to look too wet. keep a layer of the dry stuff that on top to discourage flies. you might get the soldier fly maggots but just try to ignore them, eventually they should go away (they don't hurt anything).

once it seems finished (all black castings)... get a new bin with lid, drill holes in the bottom, fill it with fresh material, take the lid off the finished bin, and put the new one inside of it (put a couple bricks in the bottom one, to give it some air/space-).. and put the lid on the new bin. keep adding material to the new bin, and eventually, the wigglers should migrate mostly to the new bin. this seems to be the easiest, laziest, cheapest way to do vermicomposting, IMO. all this i learned from the good folks on here.. been doing it several years, & it works great. i have about one full bin per season, which for a small garden is all you need. this is in addition to my regular compost pile, in the yard.

it stays by the house (on grass, in shade)- but i move it on the porch if it gets 100 or above, or when there's a freeze. sometimes they die off but they always come back.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here