Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raquibird

worm trench

raquibird
10 years ago

In case anyone is interested: I dug 3 trenches, approx 6' X 3', and into a trench is put all my kitchen scraps, a shovelful of soil (so the worms know what they're supposed to be doing), a little handful of worms from previous harvesting, and then I cover the trench with some straw for insulation. Within a couple/3 months, I uncover, strain, take out the worms that are bored from lack of food, and then have the most beautiful delicious soil in which I start all my vegetable seeds. Initially I thought the worms would run away from home because they're not confined, but I found that as long as dinner is continually served, they stay home and work and herding them back isn't necessary. On top of the straw I put some scraps of fencing so the animals can't touch the dinner.

Comments (7)

• Priswell
    10 years ago

Yep. For years I had a pile near the corner of the fence with no containment, and the worms would always stay where dinner was expected to show up. Also, I'm in the San Joaquin Valley of CA, so the damp in the 105* was a better offer than the rest of the yard.

• raquibird
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Priswell do you find that the warmer season encourages new birthing of those tiny pieces of floss?
    I'm in the Santa Cruz mtns where it gets up to 110 - once even 114 - and I'm assuming the insulation helps. Do you just have the pile there with nothing on top? And do you put greens from the garden in the pile?

• Priswell
    10 years ago

Straw or other kind of mulch is always appreciated by the worms. It keeps the pile warm when it's cold and moderates the heat when it's cold. I've since moved my piles into the shade and into bins. I actually get my best population booms in the winter. It's cooler, and the water isn't sucked dry from the high heats.

>>new birthing of those tiny pieces of flossAre you talking about red worms or white worms?

• raquibird
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The red worms. They start out as little tiny threads. Tell me about the kind of bins in which you've put everything. Do the worms do their duty more quickly?

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    10 years ago

"bored worms...delicious soil" how can I not reply.

"The red worms. They start out as little tiny threads."

The phrase "new birthing of those tiny pieces of floss" makes us all widen our eyes. Do they look like this?:
    http://www.urbanwormcomposting.org/urbanworm/worms-galore/ She writes it so nice I linked to because I could not write one that explains the difference so well.

It is a non profit that sells stuff. Some of their information is "unique". This is a new one: "worms like to eat the coir as it breaks down and it provides nice grit for them to aid in their digestion process." ?!? grit = coir? Only $20 ?!? of coir will complete a bin's bedding needs. The site is filled with helpful hits such as "No citrus. Citrus peels contain limonene, which is toxic to insects." (worms are not insects) and "No pet or human feces. This kind of bacteria is bad for worms and gardens." Billions of humans for thousands, millions (?) of years do not agree. The worms are fine with it. We just do not care to dig through it in a bin. Topped by the site I just read with a recipe to feed the worms that needed a crock pot going for a week.

If you decide these are white worms and not creatively described baby red worms just stop feeding and possibly add some bedding. The white worms will leave when they are done eating all on their own as conditions change in the bin. Alternately the white worms make great live food for tropical fish especially if somebody is raising a brood of baby fish.

• raquibird
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The little tiny pieces of floss morph into the red wigglers - what do white worms look like??
    There is a horse ranch nearby and the rancher must have stood watching me for quite a while: I had hunkered down and each time I found a red wiggler, I said a very quiet 'Eureka', and plucked the worm and put it in my little pail. I didn't realize until I got home with my yard of composting manure and began shoveling it out of my truck that there were likely hundreds of little eurekas happily wiggling about.
    "The newly hatched worms first appear as tiny white, thread-like creatures." Thread better description than my floss.

• raquibird
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I meant 'composted manure'.