Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
battygardnr

What should go in each composter?

battygardnr
15 years ago

I have had an outside compost bin for a year or so. I just set up a worm bin. My DH was not too thrilled about the outside one but is now on board and planning to build a new one. He is not thrilled with the worms either. My compromise was to start really small/cheap. I had a clear 19 qt (so about 4 gal) sterilite bin I wasn't using and filled it 1/3 full with a mix of corrugated cardboard/junk mail/napkins/UCG. I bought a small tub of 50 red wigglers at Petsmart. So my cost so far is $4. If it goes okay I plan to buy more worms soon. I did all of this today and haven't even started feeding them yet. Most still seem to be in the bedding from the tub still.

Anyway, what things are best added to which bin? I use the little newspaper I get from my weekly newspaper for the birdcage then that goes into the outside composter, I assume any poo on it could be too hot for the worms. I have quite a bit of cardboard and figured the worms could get the corrugated and the outside bin could have the soda/cereal boxes.

Should I use 2 collection bins for the house or just put the worm stuff directly in their bin? I finally have the kids/hubby trained on what is compostable so I don't want to confuse them too much. I know the few worms I have won't be eating much at this point, I'm thinking ahead.

Comment (1)