Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
equinoxequinox

Danger, Will Robinson!

equinoxequinox
9 years ago

Summer is the time of year when the volume of produce into the house explodes. This leads to so many kitchen scraps, huge zucchini, corn cobs, blossom rot tomatoes, and later fallen apples that our worm bins are over blessed. Then the bad thing happens. It is a great time to add bedding now. Possibly start an outdoor compost or vermicompost pile to spare a bit of the burden from the worm bin.

The good part is vermicompost harvested in the winter that has been curing can now go live outside to help the new little plants. The quality or what is really in purchased compost is always a worry for me. I am glad I know what is in the vermicompost I am feeding to new radish and lettuce plants that will be food.

(To Carlos, Oh, and I waited quietly a whole month to say Happy Birthday to You. Although you have vanished, as if by the waving of a vermicomposter's wand it is good you and others were still there. Apologies to �Nathaniel Hawthorne.)

(For those who were too young to be watching TV in 1962, a 4 second youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?)v=OWwOJlOI1nU)

Comment (1)