Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
milocrab_gw

cooked/boiled left overs herbs?

milocrab
12 years ago

My husband just made a herbal soup using things like ginseng, lotus seeds, and various other herbal stuff that I can't recognize (looks like some sort of roots and rice). Just wondering if I can put those used/boiled ingredients to feed the worms?

I also saved an uneaten boiled potato the other day, its still in my freezer. I suppose it's ok to bury cooked food in the worm bin; as long as its not meat and has no oil and no seasoning?

Comments (3)

• trivedi_south
    12 years ago

In bokashi composting method you can use cooked food as well.
    Following from the net:
    --------------------------
    Now comes the fun part of having a worm bin -- feeding the little guys. You can bury just about anything that originally came out of the ground in the bin. Coffee grounds and filters, tea leaves and bags, fruit and veggie peels and cores, paper, rice, grits, and natural fabrics are all things that can go in the bin. Eggshells that have been washed out and ground up are also an excellent source of calcium for the worms.

The following items make good worm food:

Leafy greens
    Potatoes
    Non-acidic fruits and vegetables (tomatoes, green peppers)
    Low-acidity citrus
    Coffee & tea grounds
    Rice
    Grits
    Paper
    Cotton
    Eggshells
    There are also several items that will harm the worms. For one, don't feed them anything fatty or oily. Worms can't digest meat proteins or lactose, so no dairy products either, like milk or cheese. While worms do like egg shells, the egg cannot go in the bin. Citrus and salt can actually harm the skin of the worms. We mentioned earlier that worms breathe through their skin, so just imagine if your lungs were on the outside of your body and someone decided to rub salt and lemon on them -- you probably wouldn't appreciate it either.

These items will harm your worms. Never give them:

Butter
    Oil
    Salad containing salad dressing
    Eggs
    Meat
    Highly acidic fruits and vegetables (lemons, limes, oranges)
    Hot peppers
    Salt
    Animal waste
    Plastic
    Synthetic materials
    Insecticides

• trivedi_south
    12 years ago

INTERESTING ARTICLE I CAME ACROSS. ENJOY
    ==========================================================

Eat My Shorts!

The Len Foote Hike Inn is a hotel in the North Georgia mountains that has an extensive vermicomposting system in the basement. With the help of the guests, they compost 1,500 pounds (680.4 kilograms) of food and office waste per year, and use the fertilizer in their organic gar�den. When the hotel staff gets bored, they find new (yet safe) things to shred and feed to the worms. One famous story tells of a pair of corduroy pants left by a guest that were never claimed. The staff shredded them up, buried them, and never saw them again. When sifting one day, an employee came across a button and a zipper � the rest had been eaten!

• milocrab
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks. I suppose it's ok to feed them boiled herbs (herbal medicine) then, since they were once plant material too.