Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sgmd

Vermicompost harvesting questions, storage, and use

sgmd
13 years ago

Hello ...

i have a Worm Factory that I started in late June 2009. At the moment, I have two trays. The bottom tray has a dark moist content that i assume is vermicompost ready for harvest. The second tray is still being used and has a healthy worm population.

However, there are still plenty of fat happy worms in the first tray I started, and they seem to be having a good time! I thought that they were supposed to migrate up to the second tray when the food was depleted? Does it mean that the tray is not ready for harvest? It's been almost a year, and I'm wondering what the heck they're up to in there .... is it OK to harvest it anyway and move the worms to the newer tray?

What's the best way to store vermicompost? The contents of the first tray is all moist black organic material so i can't tell the casings from decomposed vegetables.

I'm planning to give most of it to a friend who has an organic garden. What's the best way for her to use it? (I live in an apartment and since it's the growing season, i thought it would be more useful in my friend's garden. I'll use whatever i harvest in winter to make some potting mix for the houseplants.)

Thanks in advance!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES