Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boyle014

FAQs and exchanges

boyle014
14 years ago

What doesn't this forum have an FAQ or a place where people who need worms and people willing to give worms away can match up? How would we go about setting up such things? Anybody know?

I enjoy the forum but there is a lot of repetition.

Comments (6)

• leearnold
    14 years ago

This forum doesn't have a FAQ because everyone's bin and situation is a bit different. Size, material, bedding material, kind of worm, amount of worms started with, temp., etc. ALL influence a bin and is unique to each user.
    As for worm trading/selling, we send people to www.vermicomposters.com

• pyropunk
    14 years ago

Worms eat my Garbage by Mary Appelhof is a good FAQ. (Some might say it's the best FAQ money can buy ;) The information is a bit dated but still worth it.

• seamommy
    14 years ago

Even though everyone's situation is different, we could still use an FAQ list. Like, Best Bedding materials, what to do if it smells like ammonia, what is BSF, how is a simple bin constructed, what if my worms are leaving, how to harvest compost, how to round up worms?

I would have found that info helpful when I was starting out with my bins. I never add water or watery food to my bins and yet I am still trying to figure out how to keep the bin from becomming too wet. I have harvested compost several times but it's always mucky. Just once I would like to harvest compost that ismoist and crumbly, am I just smokin crack to wish that? Cheryl

• susanfromhawaii
    14 years ago

Vermicomposter.com also has a 'WormWiki'. The guy who started the site was trying to get us to put some basic knowledge there. PLEASE help us improve the site. I think it's a great way to do an FAQ. You can click to the info you're interested in, rather than reading through the whole FAQ. Anyone is welcome to add as long as they don't mind their posts being edited (as with any Wiki.) I was active for a while, but there were only a few of us. I'd love to regenerate some excitement there.

Cheryl, does your bin have good drainage? Are the holes plugged? I never get nice crumbly VC from my rubbermaid bins, even with lots of drainage, but I do from my flow through. Check out the REALLY LONG thread called My Flow Through Bins. I've used the same idea but on a MUCH smaller scale in a tall kitchen waste basket. I'm single, and on the 20th floor in a studio. I can't do one of the big things! Also on the wormwiki you'll find ideas on cloth flow through options. If you have a place to hang them, they look really great. I just found the plastic waste basket cheaper.

• boyle014
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, I agree with seamommy. Everything about gardening is unique, but there are still plenty of common answers to common questions. Like what are the different types of worms and how do they create vermicompost? No doubt--the Applehof book is a great resource. Someone could summarize some of the key points from it for FAQs (giving credit of course). Leearnold, are you in a person in charge, or were you just giving your opinion? Do you know how to create FAQs?

Cheryl, when my bins get too wet I add old, dried out garden refuse like potting soil, leaves, roots, etc. It's been a very dry spring here in Minnesota so grass clippings and the things that fall from the trees go into the bin to keep things dry there. That works really well for me.

• susanfromhawaii
    14 years ago

If anyone wants to contribute to the wormwiki, go to http://wiki.vermicomposters.com/wormbin/Main_Page
    You'll have to sign up to be able to edit pages, but it's pretty basic. We'd love any help you want to provide.