Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cooling off a heating bin

Posted by sbryce (My Page) on
Fri, May 7, 10 at 22:27

Two days ago I overdid it. My flowthrough is doing so well, that I fed it a three inch layer of food scraps, UCG and shredded cardboard all mixed together. The worms didn't respond well, and now I know why. It is heating! OK, so how do I cool it off? Hopefully the worms are either below or above the hot areas. I can see that lots of them are above. They are crawling all over the walls of the bin.

When this thing cools off, the worms are going to have a feast.

I hope.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cooling off a heating bin

This reply is from a retired fire captain. If it is hot, add water to cool. Your flow thru will drain. That is what I have done in my in-ground bin. Good luck!

o

A fan.

Where did you find that volume of food scraps?

Sounds like you are having so much fun with that flow through it should be illegal.

I'm going to try this in January.

o

""UCG and shredded cardboard all mixed together""
Remember, mixing food and bedding will cause heating up.

It might be better to use cooled or frozen water bottles wrapped in newspaper rather than adding water to the bin. This way you avoid getting leachete, getting a too wet a bin which may cause mite explosions etc.

o

I have mixed food and bedding before with no problems. I think it depends on the food. In this case too much UCG caused the heating. I have learned something. In the past I have used a lot of USG, but it did not absorb much water, and there was no heating. This time I got it good and wet.

I was just trying to do something similar to Bentley's home made manure. I even let it sit for three days before I fed it to the worms. It did not heat up until I put it in the bin. I'm guessing that there were not enough microbes outside of the bin to cause a bloom.

Here is a link that might be useful: Home made manure

o

I have made 2 batches of homemade manure. I let kitchen scraps rot 10 days a a bucket before mixing. I then froze the "gunk", which was fermenting! When I thawed and fed, the worms left it alone for a week. In 2 weeks the worms are all over it. I think when you smash all the stuff together it decomposes slower due to lack of air.

Pete

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here