Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mr_yan

collapse - keep multiple bins

mr_yan
10 years ago

I have almost totally neglected my worm inn for the last three months except for occasional and infrequent waterings. Before this I was feeding heavily and using a mixture of cross cut shredded newspaper, torn egg crates, and some corrugated as bedding.

Over the weekend I took the bin outside and poured it out onto a tarp.My daughter and I went through it (well I did, she is only 34 months old) and didn't find a single worm. There was NO food left and the rest was either composted or bedding. The bin was on the dry side but not terrible. There were a lot of mites and some wood lice / pill bugs.

I have a second wooden bin with wire mesh bottom that I will open up this weekend. This one I had been feeding more recently but even when digging around I have not seen a worm in it in a while. It was still processing food relatively quickly though.

I have a third bin outside - zone 4b - which is an old half barrel planter. I have no clue what kind of worms are in it but they look to be thriving. The indoor bins were a mix of reds and euros.

This is why you keep multiple bins.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH