Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
equinoxequinox

High Tech vs Low Tech Harvesting Methods

equinoxequinox
13 years ago

High Tech: Who would not want to just turn the handle and perfect vermicastings cascade down more beautiful than any waterfall. I certainly want to. And I would want to be first in line to buy a product that promises that. Mind you I did not pay any money for my worms or my bins. But it seems to be a lot to ask of a bit of thin plastic or metal holding the harvesting bars in place. They are not designed for the torque. The pressures exerted by vermicompost might be larger than one would think. The holder for the bars would need to be something other than the sides of the bin.

Low Tech: I am finding scrapping the still pretty much vermicompost not vermicastings (working on it) from the bottom of the flow through not as much fun as I had originally anticipated. Well it was great fun the first time or three. I am thinking of drilling a few 1/4 holes (could be two inches, it does not matter) into the side near the bottom of the flow through bin. Then the grill skewer tool I used with the worms can jostle the material out of the open bottom. I hope. The effot needed may be similar to turning the crank on the high tech method.

This is what I lay awake thinking about.

Comments (3)