Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wormy_d

Worm Factory

wormy_d
14 years ago

Hello all.

I'm a newbie to vermicomposting, and I have started out with a five bin worm factory and a pound of red wrigglers. I am two and a half months in and I just started my third tray yesterday. Things seem to be progressing well, maybe a little two well? I have read alot about the dangers of overfeeding and not taking it slow in the begining, but it seems as though I can hardly keep up with the little guys.

I feed the worms once a week, taking vegtable scraps, fruit cores and peels and blending them together. I then mix the slurry with carboard shredded by a home/office shredder. I add the cardboard until there is no excessive moisture present in the mix, and then I spread the mix in an even layer across the 16x16 bin. I cover this with moistened shredded paper, and four whole pieces of moist newspaper. I add coffee grounds every day.

I know much of this is unnecessary, but can it be a part of the reason my worm farm has exploded so quickly in the begining?

I keep the bin outdoors on my covered back patio in So. Cal where its usually warm. Do the warmer temps help or hinder?

Because it is outside I am not to bothered by the fruit flys, but they do buzz about when I have the lid off. Any suggestions on how to control them?

Thanks for taking the time to read all this. I am hoping some of you veterans can provide answers to my questions as well as any helpfull info or tips you may have.

Comments (4)