Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
milocrab_gw

About using vermicompost

milocrab
12 years ago

Hi everyone, after I have my first harvest in a few months time, I plan to use the finished compost to start growing some vegetables indoor, in front of a large window with supplement lighting. Please bare with me, as I'm a complete newbie in gardening (I've only planted mung beans when I was a kid, that is all my experience so far). Okay, I did some research; I am planning to mix 1 part vermicompost, 1 part coir, 1 part sphagnum moss and 1 part vermiculite as the potting mix. Then I will make some aerated vermicompost tea for regular spraying and watering. So, here comes my questions:

- Can I use the aerated tea several times a week or even daily? Will this be too much? And how often do I need to re-apply the vermicompost to the potting mix?

- In order to grow nice and healthy greens (collards, cabbage, tatsoi, etc), do I still need to add other fertilizers besides sprinkling vermicompost once in a while?

- I understand it is better to change out the potting mix after each harvest; but I don't want to throw anything away. So, I'm wondering if I can use a sieve to filter out the coir and vermicompost, then throw them back into my worm bin? I read about "salt build up" in used soil, will this salt harm the worms?

- The larger particles of the vermiculite and sphagnum moss will be thoroughly rinsed and microwaved, and then reuse again. This ok?

- One last one, a lot of brown paper food bags have colored ink printed on them; are they safe to put in the worm bin?

Sorry for so many questions, that's all I need to ask for the moment...stay tune for more questions to come from this newbie. >_Bonnie

Comments (4)

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    12 years ago

Vegetables need tons of light. Maybe even more than a big window and supplemental light can provide. Can you put even one planter outdoors to see the difference full sun makes?

Your potting mix should be good for more than one planting. Maybe many more.

It would be more expensive than buying vegetables if the soil needs to be changed each time.

Rinsing and microwaving seem a bit overkill.

Some with no access to land still get enjoyment from gardening by guerilla gardening. Making the seed balls with a group of people looks fun. Or maybe there is a garden club around that takes care of a garden at a local museum, park, or library? That way you get to garden and learn from experienced gardeners. Maybe there are some nice spring time garden tours.

It is a nice feeling knowing the worms are working all the time making you some nice compost to plant with.

• milocrab
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the input, equinoxequinox. Unfortunately, I live in a tiny apartment in Hong Kong; we have concrete everywhere but gardens are really scarce. I had researched on the daily light requirements on growing vegetables, and will make sure that the plants get their minimum daily mole required. I'm just planning to plant several pots of salad green though.

I'm still confused with some things. Is using vermicompost and tea enough to provide all nutrients to grow to maturity? I read about fish meal and kelp, do I have to use those too in order to grow nice and healthy plants? Also, is there a "recommended schedule" for sprinkling vermicompost and spraying aerated tea on the plants? Thanks.

Bonnie

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    12 years ago

Hong Kong? Way cool! I thought you might be where access to garden areas are scarce. I do not know the answers to the questions. A bit of biochar or charcoal might be of interest in the plant medium. I am excited for your garden. I am 'rooting' for it because it is trying so hard and you will have a delightful bit of green calm nature in a city.

Fish meal and kelp also sound like good ideas.

Another way to grow food in a small space is sprouts. There are tiny machines that water frequently for you. And sprouting bags. Jars work but not so well. Tons of nutrition in sprouts. Wheat grass sprouts are beautiful. It is like having a perfect lawn, just 1 square foot of edible perfection.

Other forums on the Garden Web may be able to help with the gardening. But come back here and let us know how you eventually fit vermicastings and tea into your garden. I want to know. This is a topic that is important to many people. Everybody needs to have ways to grow edible plants.

• plumiebear
    12 years ago

Bonnie, I'm not much of gardener, so hopefully others will chime in to help with more details. My impression is the last 3 items in your potting mix recipe are mostly used for water retention and aeration. Nearly all of the plant nutrients would come from the vermicompost. That might be sufficient to grow a salad mix and will depend on the concentration of worm castings in the VC you use. If you're waiting a few months before the first harvest, it's probably going to be very good VC.

Why not try re-using the growing medium without microwaving. That would probably kill many of the beneficial microbes that your plants need. Make sure you get coir that has been rinsed with fresh water. I've never heard of any reason NOT to use VC tea regularly.

Andrew