Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosesr4me_gw

Using a deck box as a worm bin??

rosesr4me
11 years ago

I currently have a small wood bin in my kitchen that is doing well and the worms seem happy. I have access to lots of vegetable waste and would like to build an outside bin.

Has anyone tried using a plastic deck box as worm bin? Many holes would definitely need to drilled. I saw this one on sale and wondered if it would work. Should I cut out the bottom and screen the opening? OR just drill holes in the bottom and sit it on bricks?

I thought of building a wood bin, but here in Florida I don't think it would last but a few years.

Thoughts??

Here is a link that might be useful: suncast outdoor storage box

Comments (3)

• oliveoyl3
    11 years ago

A cheap sterlite container would be the same thing. Save your deck box for another use.

Drill holes as suggested. Many plans are out there. The one with a double bottom might be ideal in your climate to get the drainage you need and collect that awesome rich worm tea.

We've had one for 15 years and the lid is a bit cracked from storm caused tree debris. Still works though.

The larger the better because you can push it all to one side & put in a cardboard divider and new bedding. Feed only on the new side with the new bedding and the worms will migrate through. Cardboard isn't tight on all sides, but just enough to help hold the contents back to one side while you add more bedding.

Location for you in Florida would be important so the worms don't get too hot.

I've found the worms are very forgiving and adaptable to new bins and new methods. We've changed bedding types, taken worms out for friends, and moved things around no problem. If too wet, I leave the lid off for a few days & have to push back the slugs who migrate in. If too dry I can add moist bedding or more wet food. As long as the space is large enough the worms move to where they're comfortable in the bin. Also have started putting their food in a repurposed red plastic onion bag. Makes it easy for me to add more food & helps move the worms to one side for harvesting vermicompost.

Hopes that helps
    Corrine

• Shaul
    11 years ago

First of all, it's not necessary to drill drainage holes in a plastic bin. Secondly, you also don't need to worry that much about over-watering and excess moisture. Redworms can live in up to 90% moisture (that's pretty darn wet). The statement that the bedding needs to be as wet as a wrung-out sponge is a myth that needs to finally be put to bed. That said, it doesn't mean that the bin should be as wet as an aquarium, but it also isn't necessary to freak out about it. Strangely enough, the worms will usually be found in the wetter parts of the bin.
    And lastly, the liquid draining out the bottom of a worm bin is called Leachate and is the product of decomposing food waste. It is most definitely Not (aerated) worm tea.

Shaul

• zzackey
    11 years ago

I would worry about armadillos if you have an outside bin. they love to eat worms. My friend raises them outside. He has a grate on top of it. I need to question him on the sides. He says they grow great in straight cow manure. Not black cow, the real thing.

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia