Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
11otis

O-oh ....MICE????

11otis
13 years ago

What do mice eat?

I know they eat grain and whatever meat and cheese one throws in the compost bin. But would they dig around for worms?

I found several mice droppings in front of the collection chamber of my FT. I can't close the door of the chamber because I have a lamp there and if I don't have the lamp, the worm (and lots of them) will move down there because I have leachate, and my worms seem to love wet places.

Comments (10)

• borderbarb
    13 years ago

This VERY SHORT video tells what mice eat.... which is just about everything. Maybe if you continue to see droppings around your bin, you might put mouse traps out and/or cover the openings with screen.

All of my worms are outdoors .. some in a large pit, others in bins. I haven't notice droppings or [EEEEK!] seen any mice around them.

Here is a link that might be useful: what do mice eat?

• 11otis
    Original Author
    13 years ago

borderbarb: thanks for the link.
    It's only that 1 time so far.

• damia
    13 years ago

You should put some mouse traps (humane ones preferably) and try to catch them.

• pjames
    13 years ago

what is a HUMANE trap?

• eaglesgarden
    13 years ago

For my money it's a trap that kills quickly and completely! (But that's just me.)

Generally it's one that merely traps the animal, but does not harm it in any way.

Here is a link that might be useful: A real example humane rodent trap

• antoniab
    13 years ago

How about this mousetrap?
    It will send you a text message when it catches a mouse, telling you the mouse it dead.

Here is a link that might be useful: RADAR Mousetrap

• helencolby
    13 years ago

Funny you should mention this. I opened my worm bin last week and found a nest in the corner with a baby in it and the momma mouse.. I sicked the cat on that mouse pronto. She got the mouse and promptly killed it. I got rid of the nest and baby and set a trap. so far I have killed 3 of those rodents. We live in the country and I think they love that bin. It is made of wood and if there is a crack, they can get in. I keep traps set all the time now. So hopefully that will be the end of Micky and gang..

• borderbarb
    13 years ago

I forgot to knock on wood, when I posted earlier. Have discovered either a large mouse or small rat has been living in/around my worm pit. GROSS !! I'm putting traps and poison out and encircling the pit with dog feces. Hope that tripple whammy does the trick. [BTW .. am very careful with poison so won't hurt worms or expose my pets]

• mendopete
    13 years ago

I thought mice had chewed through the plywood covering my outdoor bin until today. A large wood rat bolted out when I opened it up. It was 11/2- 2 lbs.... Time for a new lid, area clean-up, and traps!!!!!!!

• borderbarb
    13 years ago

Oh, dang .... Pete....I just finished posting a question to you on the critter issue on another thread. My pit is open top [cover with carpeting] Can't think of a way to keep critters out. If it becomes too much of a problem I may have to get my son to build me a real bin/pit. YUCK! Starting to sound like WORK.