Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Night Crawlers or Red Worms??

Posted by teaal4 illinois (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 7, 10 at 0:26

What kind of worms should I use in a indoor worm bin? Night Crawlers or Red wigglers? I am thinking of using a Rubber Tub to start with. Can I just pull them from my garden?? Thanks in Advance for the advice!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Night Crawlers or Red Worms??

Red Wigglers. But since just about anything can be called a Red Wiggler, you want Eisenia foetida.

Can you pull them from your garden? Probably not. Worms that are good for composting generally don't live in garden soil.

o

I think I ended up with two different kinds of worms. In my rubbermaid bin, I think I have mainly European nightcrawlers. In my wooden stackable bin, I think it's more of the traditional red worms.

o

You can pull them from your compost heap. I did. If buying I would want to make sure they were Eisenia foetida. I might have a mix. I would prefer not to. Some types might be more inclined to crawl. Some experienced worm wranglers prefer a mix.

o
Compost worms

Is it okay to start out with a mix taken from a compost pile?

o

From a compost pile yes. Then later if you decide you want species specific worms you can put the original worms back in the compost. Be sure to tell us if it ended up both types were identical. I would prefer to have Eisenia foetida. I do not know what I have. Maybe half Eisenia foetida and half something I like less. Mine are free from my outdoor compost. At one time we let a few red wigglers from a library workshop into the outdoor compost. You might want to practice with compost worms and then move up to the $ worms when you feel confident of their sucess. Just put the first worms back into the compost to not contaminate your new worms.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here