Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pineapple scraps

Posted by wendrew8 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 15, 10 at 2:05

I purchased a whole pineapple and will be carving it up tomorrow. Can the worms have the leaves, outside, or the core? I know that I have read that worms shouldn't have any pineapple fruit, but what about the rest? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pineapple scraps

If you just have one tote, put a smallish sample in the corners and see. Leaves in one corner, outside of fruit in another, core in the third making sure that the wigglers have room to escape and other yummies to feast on. An experiment of sorts, but without the paperwork (unless you let us know what happened, and we really like experiments!). If you have multiple totes, just use one sample per tote. That way if part of the pineapple is way, way toxic, you won't lose the whole lot. Just an idea, and it helps to dispel some old myths and misinformation that has been passed down for ages. If all of the pineapple is bad for worms, then that info will help the worms and wormers also. Thanks!

o

"Pineapple contains a proteolytic enzyme bromelain, which helps in the digestion of protein. Fresh pineapple juice is also used in removing intestinal worms."

leaves - Will take forever to breakdown. The worms might like playing in it.

outside - Has a lot of the inside. I would put it in an outside compost pile. Or precompost it to the max. I would not feed it fresh to my worms.

core - Same as inside. I would not feed it fresh to my worms.

Canned pineapple is different. The canning process heats making the enzime not work. Canned pineapple and the juice from the can is used like watermellon or cantelope rind. Add lots of bedding. I have used a lot of canned pineapple leftovers and juice for the size of the bin.

o

I pre-compost a lot of pineapple (core, sides, tops and bottoms). The worms in the outside bin hang out in the leaves like monkeys in a tree. No negative impact. Like the others, I would not add any fresh to a bin -- not worth the risk.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here