Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
florion_gw

Materials for worm bin construction

florion
11 years ago

Hello all, I am planning on building a flow through worm bin and I am using wood to build the main structure. I was originally thinking of using a mesh screen for the layer that will hold all the food waste above the bottom of the bin, but then I thought of rust. I was then thinking of using PVC piping lined 2 inches apart, but have since read about leaching of chemicals into my vermicompost which I plan to use in a vegetable garden. Besides cut strips of wood, does anyone have any ideas for the layer that holds the waste to allow good aeration? Or maybe someone could ease my mind about the leaching and rust not actually having any significant input into the vermicompost...

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you

Anthony

Comments (6)

• webbee
    11 years ago

I doubt rust is an issue in the compost. In a perfect world...however there is iron oxide (rust) in the soil and plants grow in it, without issue. We eat vegetables grown in red soil. It's the main mineral in red blood cells and we would be dead without iron. I would be more concerned with galvanized screen or hardware cloth.

You could try stainless steel screening which you might find at a boating supply, pool keepers supply, or an industrial hardware supply, locally. Otherwise, it's the web pirates.

• ozzz
    11 years ago

Fishing line works well, get 100# test ;)

• mr_yan
    11 years ago

I just built one like this and used the white coated wire shelving for the bottom. This is usually coated with vinyl. A brand name is closet-made.

The PVC won't leach under standard temperature and pressure. But I have seen may people posting that the pvc sags and fails then dumps the bin on the floor.

I have also seen many designs where heavy fishing line or string-trimmer line was used. Expect it to sag and make sure your knots are solid.

I would expect galvanized wire - such as bailing wire - would be great to use also.

• sbryce_gw
    11 years ago

Any kind if line will sag, and it will be under tension. The tension will pull the sides if your bin together, causing the bin to deform.

I have not had problems with PVC sagging. I guess it depends on how big the pipe is and how long the run is.

I would not use anything galvanized. The zinc kills fungus, etc. Also don't use any sort of screen. You will have a very difficult time harvesting. You want all of the structure, whatever it is, running in the same direction.

• billthewormman
    11 years ago

I have had success using metal fence posts for flow through bins, which are usually easy to find and very strong, just make sure the hole that you drill is "tight" fitting. I don't think that rust is a big issue. I use PVC pipe which i drill hundreds of holes in for ventilation and have had no problems with it either.

Good luck

Bill

• 11otis
    11 years ago

PVC is a kind of plastic. Did you mean galvanized piping? I did use galvanized electr. conduit for the grating of my bins and they are OK even with oxidation spots. It will event. collapse but not in my lifetime, I hope, lol.

I will remember sbryce's comment: ""The zinc kills fungus, etc."" but people building the DIY bins when not using weed whacker strings or PVC, used galv. electr. conduits. I guess these pipes couldn't kill the amount of fungus etc. the bins produce, let's hope so.