Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Native Florida Red Worms

Posted by bobvisaa 9 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 22, 13 at 3:38

I am new to vermicomposting and have seen advertisments advertising native Florida Red Worms. Are these really just Eisenia Fetida worms? Is there really any advantage to using these native Florida Red Worms?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Native Florida Red Worms

Not much more than marrying a Native Florida American. What exactly would that even mean? If it were me I would shy away from that sales pitch and search our a company that sells worms by the Latin name. Companies that do not tell you what you are buying, IE do not use the Latin name are selling a pig in a poke. Thus it all depends upon how many pigs you want poking you.

o

I think I've seen the same advertised on craigslist. It definitely sounds like a gimmick, considering the fact that he sells them for $40 per pound. He talks about "other worms" by using their scientific names like Eisenia fetida, but when he identifies his own he just calls them "native" red wigglers - but red wigglers ARE Eisenia fetida. Think his new gimmick is selling 30 worms for $4 - considering that there should be 500 - 1000 mature worms in a pound, that's like paying between $66.67 and $133.33 per pound.

o

I suspect that those worms are Jewish New Yorkers transplanted there after the 2008 Wall Street meltdown.

Chuckiebtoo

o

They sell them here for bait. We have Red Wigglers. They should have it marked on the container. They can't live outside here. It gets too cold. They are little dinky worms. Not like the big night crawlers I used to catch for fishing when I was little in PA.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here