Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White mushrooms

Posted by sonshine_07 Melbourne, VIC (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 4:01

Hello all,
I seem to be growing a nice harvest of white mushrooms in my bin lately. Should I be concerned? Have you had a similar experience?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White mushrooms

Pull them up and stir them in and the worms will gobble them before long. Fungi can be a common thing in the bin, generally nothing to be worried over but check if the bin is a little too wet.

o

I get some large white mushrooms occasionally in my bins. During April and May this year, there were probably well over 100 that started UNDER my carpet bin. The tops were about 6" across, and lifting up the carpet. I did not ID them. I pulled some and tossed them into the bin with fresh manure. Most of them I let be and they are all long gone now.
No worries mate!
Happy wormin' Pete

o

Fungus in the bin is a good thing. It is one more composter breaking down the cellulose.

o

When the lawn is really moist, I gather mushrooms that grow and put them IN my bins (chopped). They are eaten up really quickly.

Chuckiebtoo

o

That is good to know. I won't worry about it, just burying them a bit. :)

Haha, Pete. I appreciate the nod to Australian vernacular. FYI, I'm 100% American who happens to be living in OZ. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here