Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redrosa

Prop Up Worm Factory?

redrosa
13 years ago

Hello!

I've searched the forum and can't find info about propping up the worm factory bins - after my first mite infestation I realize the bin is probably too wet and don't like all the worms falling/going in the collection tray so I laid two pieces of wood across the collection tray and set the working tray on top. Now it's not wet enough down below to attract the worms and also perhaps a little light gets through and seems to be deterring the worms.

Is this ok? I'm worried it will dry out with all the air flow. Should i do the cloth method instead?

Thanks!

Comments (5)

• randomz
    13 years ago

Don't worry that it will dry out. Also, don't be too bothered about worms going to the bottom tray, it's either because they like it there, or because they aren't happy in the working trays. I personally don't think much is achieved by blocking their access with cloth. Just leave the tap open to the bottom tray can drain so the worms don't drown.

• 11otis
    13 years ago

I just set one bottom side on the edge of the collection tray. Some people let the tray sit angled on top instead of dropping it into the one below.
    I agree that these big bucks bought tray systems don't have adequate air circulation.

• CathyCA SoCal
    13 years ago

"don't like all the worms falling/going in the collection tray"
    I had this happening, 1 or 2 juvenile worms every day and they dried out and died. I added a tray below my working tray that just has bedding in it, damp cardboard. It seemed to solve the problem for me, the juvenile worms that land in there don't die and seem to be able to get back up to the working tray.

I did see that the worm factory instructions suggest propping up the tray on pieces of wood during hot weather to add more air circulation. I may try this when the weather gets hot in California. That would be for different reasons than you are doing it and I am curious to hear how yours works out.

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    13 years ago

The "instructions suggest propping up the tray on pieces of wood"! And they need but do not arrive with material to keep the worms out of the swamp. And the swamp does not drain totally because the spigot is not at the lowest drain point. Add in the having to move around trays to get at the lowest tray. And following the directions that arrive with the bins are not the best way to run things. When one adds it all up, desire to purchase a shiny factory or can is replaced by great appreciation for ugly, recycled, free, bucket vermicomposting.

• wendrew8
    13 years ago

I use the fabric in my Can o Worms, which is just a round worm factory, because I was having worms drown in the spigot as equinox has mentioned. The fabric works fine for me and I haven't had any troubles. I started my COW about 6 weeks ago, I believe, and my worms seem quite content. Good luck.

Sponsored
ANF Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Kitchen & Bath Designers Servicing VA