Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dividedsky727

Lumbricus rubellus

dividedsky727
14 years ago

I need some Lumbricus rubellus for scientific research and I haven't been able to find them commercially. Does anyone have a colony or can spare some that I can continue to grow?

Thanks,

Dylan

dlevene@students.colgate.edu

Comments (21)

• tobytub
    14 years ago

Can't help, but can you please tell us something about Lumbricus rubellus?

• dividedsky727
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lumbricus rubellus is said to be a great composting worm, however Eisenia fetida is the only worm commercially available for this use. They are known to help increase plant nutrient uptake to a great extent. I have seen them called a variety of names, from 'red earthworm' to 'red marsh worm' and more. I am hoping to use them as part of a study on potential invasive species in the Adirondacks, but for time's sake I need to purchase them rather than go out and extract them from the soil myself. If anyone could help that would be wonderful.

• takadi
    14 years ago

Really? My local gardening center says the ONLY sell lumbricus rubellus, as opposed to EF's.

• african
    14 years ago

I'm surprised they are selling them - I believe they are an exotic species thought to damage forests, by breaking down the trash that protects surface roots. I seem to remember reading that they were banned in Canada and maybe some states as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: What about the Workers

• african
    14 years ago

Dividesky 727 - Are you sure that Rubellus is technically a compost worm, as you state? - I believe it is actually a burrowing earthworm, although it obviously finds its food in the compost heap.

• takadi
    14 years ago

There are three types of earth worms, worms that feed primarily on organic matter on the surface, those that burrow sideways and reside and feed in shallow soil, and the others that burrow vertically very deeply. Lumbricus rubellus falls somewhere in between the first and second category depending on their food supply, but they are mostly the second category.

• craig1959
    12 years ago

Nightcrawlers(Lumbricus Terrestris) are Anecic earthworms that burrow deep in the soil and breed on the surface.
    Angleworms(Lumbricus rubellus)are endogeic earthworms that live in composting material just like red wrigglers but they do make burrows in the earth as well as the compost
    Red Wrigglers(Eisenia Foetida) are epigeic worms that live only in composting material and do not burrow. At least thats how I understand the research I done.

• Gregory Dent
    7 years ago

I see your request is several years old. Too bad, I just started a garden this year and have rubellus everywhere under the mulch.

• bjc79
    7 years ago

Hello Gregory, how can you be sure that your worms are Lumbricus rubellus? Earthworms require examination under a microscope to achieve identification to species level with certainty.

• Gregory Dent
    7 years ago

Hello, no I'm not a scientist, and I dont have a microscope, but I got curious and did a little checking on line. I read to count the segments from the mouth to the beginning of the clitellum. The Canadian night crawler has 32 segments. I have checked a few adults now, and my guys all have 26 segments. The fella in the picture I posted is six inches long.

• Gregory Dent
    7 years ago

I would like to have it confirmed. Do you know where I might have that done?

• bjc79
    7 years ago

Great photo Gregory.

You are correct in saying that Lumbricus rubellus has 26 segments anterior to the clitellum. The other important features to look for are a tubercular pubertatis covering segments 28 to 31, closely paired setae, a tanylobic head, clitellum 27 to 32 and an inconspicuous male pore on segment 15.

I don't believe it is safe to make an identification from your photo alone. It may be that the segment labelled 6 in your photo is in fact the prostomium rather than the first segment proper (it is hard to tell from the photo). If this is the case then the clitellum of your specimen would commence on segment 26 rather than 27.

To identify your worms with certainty, they would need to be preserved in alcohol then examined under a microscope. I would be more than happy to do this for you, but unless you live in the UK, you may find the cost of posting the worms to me is rather excessive.

• Gregory Dent
    7 years ago

Let me check it out. I am curious. There is a lot of conflicting info on the web. Mostly from folks selling their brand of worm. My guys are larger than what rubellus is supposed to be, but so far they are staying in the mulch at the surface and a few inches below.

• danmsu132
    7 years ago

Any update on this Gregory Dent?

• Gregory Dent
    7 years ago

Hello bjc79, If you would still like to examine some of my worms let me know how you want them packed, and preserved and I'll ship them to you. I'll pay for postage if you recip with a report on what they are. I still believe they are rubellus. As soon as I get some adults. Right now they are all immature.

• bjc79
    7 years ago

Hi Gregory, I would be delighted to do this for you. I can identify them for you and produce some photos of them under the microscope, illustrating all the key features. Can you provide me with your email address? I will then contact you privately to make the necessary arrangements. They will need to be preserved in 70-80 percent alcohol; I am not sure how easy it will be for you to get hold of this. Rubbing alcohol might be your best bet. I use diluted bioethanol for preserving worm specimens.

• Stormygale
    5 years ago

Gregory, What did you find out?

Patrick Perry

A-Worms-Tale.com

• Laura
    last year

Hello! I just stumbled across this conversation about L. rubellus. I am also a researcher looking to purchase/find this species but haven't had any luck.

Gregory- did your earthworms turn out to be L. rubellus? If so, would you be interested in selling some to me? I would cover all shipping costs, etc.

Thank you!

• mfaisalmunif
    last year

hello laura, I have the cultivation of lumbricus rubellus worms

do you still need it? u can contact me mfaisalmunif@yahoo.com

• Andrew Walker
    4 months ago

I have been cultivating lumbricus rubellus (I think) for the past 2 years. I would be happy to send some to anybody interested in researching the species. I'm out of town right now, but I will take some pictures with my microscope for positive species ID when I get home. ACREKLAW@GMAIL.COM

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists