Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bat buffet?

Posted by martah (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 25, 09 at 9:48

I recently had a mite bloom and spent yesterday trying to fix the bin (exposing it to sun to dry it out, mixing dry bedding in with the muck at the bottom, removing some of the excess food) and I think my worms were a little unhappy by all the interference. Within an hour of moving the bin back into the cool, damp basement, I had around 5-8 of them up the sides escaping. Other fallen soldiers were wriggling in the dust around the bin. I went back every few hours to relocate the strays, but was feeling pretty happy when it got dark and I realized that there weren't any more on the ground, just some still exploring the sides.

Then a bat swooped down towards my head.

I keep the bin in one of the basement's back rooms so my neighbors don't find it and freak out, so I was surprised (and appalled?) to find a bat all the way back there too. Especially not fun was reaching up to turn off the lights while crouch-running back to the stairs (didn't like putting my hand in the bat-zone, but REALLY wanted him comfortable in the dark so he could find his way out).

It wasn't until this morning that I started wondering if he was gobbling down my escapees? And does that mean he'll come back for seconds? I haven't been back in the basement yet this morning so I have no reports on the bin or bat to offer, but have any of you experienced higher-than-normal bat sightings near your bins?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bat buffet?

No bats at the bins. Your bat probably spends the "night" in your basement every day.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here