Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Add more worms to bin?

Posted by kskaren z5 MO (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 5, 09 at 10:03

I received my 1000 red worms about 3 weeks ago from Gardens Alive, and they are all snug and cozy in my homemade 10-gallon rubbermaid bin. Today, I received an email from Gardens Alive, stating they shipped me 1000 redworms yesterday. Confused, I called them, explaining that I'd already received my order, and did not order more. They told me there must have been a system error, that they had no record of me being shipped the first order, and to keep the second order with their compliments. Well, I am THRILLED to be getting 1000 more worms here in the next few days! But....I need to know what to do with them. Do I start another bin? Do I add them to my existing bin, or are 2000 worms in that size container too many? I don't mind starting another bin, because I hoped to have more than one eventually anyway. I just didn't know it would be so soon. Please help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Add more worms to bin?

You could go either way, A 10 gallon bin can support 2000 worms, and possibly a few more. In a year or less I would think you could have a worm population of about 3000 worms in your bin. That would probably max out a 10 gallon bin. But if you want a second bin, this would be a good opportunity to start it.

If you figure that your worm population will double every 3 months, but not keep growing after the bin is maxed out, your bin will be maxed out in about 3 months. Start the new bin now. Or start one bin now, and split it the first time you harvest in about 6 months.

o
RE: Add more worms to bin?

I had the same thing happen with my redworm order from GardensAlive. I received the 1000 worms (without ever receiving a shipment confirmation), and then received an email confirmation 2 weeks later that the worms had been shipped. I, too, thought I would be getting an additional 1000 worms, but I never did receive the order.
If you are that lucky, though, I would just put them in with the others. It won't be too many, and you'll be able to add more food.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here