Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Bedding

Posted by davewv 6b (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 11, 13 at 10:43

I am new to vermicomposting and I am thinking of materials to use for bedding that I can easily get and cheap. I work for a landscape contractor and we use cellulose blended mulch for grass seeding and was thinking that I could use the old leftover mulch for bedding. I've read the MSDS sheet and didn't see any chemicals that might be harmful. It does say it has a biostimulant in it. I thought is would work well because its basically shredded up paper. Has anyone tried this or do you have any thoughts about it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Bedding

I would want to know what the biostimulant is. The cellulose itself would probably be great bedding, but the additives would concern me.

o

After some research, a natural biostimulant appears to be organic matter and/or PGH (plant growth hormones). The data sheets also say that is 100% biodegradable and it is a "green" product. I would think that it wouldn't really hurt the worms, especially since most of the material has been sitting out in the weather for a long period of time. I will try it and see how it goes.

o

• Posted by shaul Israel (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 11, 13 at 16:58

Try it on a small sampling of your worms instead of the whole squirm. That way you'll only have 10 Superworms (who have just eaten the front door and are now making short work of the refrigerator) instead of 10,000.

Shaul

o

Haha..I'll try it one with and one without and see if there is a difference. Might have lime green worms great for fishing.

o

• Posted by shaul Israel (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 12, 13 at 12:29

Just so long as they don't turn out like the worms from 'Dune' (or was that before your time?), or more recently, like the Anaconda movie.

Shaul

o

Anaconda is more my time. If I can grow worms that big I'll need ti invest in a bigger bin.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here