Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shesoldier

worm tea attempt...roses and herbs?

shesoldier
14 years ago

hi there!

i have been worming for 2 years (woo!) but have always used VC direct. i am considering making some worm tea for the first time because some of the leaves on my plants are struggling, and from what i understand worm tea offers some protective benefits once sprayed upon the leaves.

while i am getting to be an experienced wormer, i am not an experienced gardener, so hopefully you amazing worm folks can help me out!

1. each year my rose bushes develop yellow to brown spots that eventually take over the leaves and basically leave the tree balding. i don't know what this is, but it's not good. will spraying the leaves with worm tea help fight this evil doer?

2. i have little weird white spores growing on the herb plants in my apartment. they eventually kill the herbs. can i spray herbs, or any other edibles for that matter, with worm tea? can i still eat them later?

thanks for all of your advice. i love this forum; you guys always dish out the good stuff!

Comments (2)

• leearnold
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The following is from the Garden's Alive website:

You CAN Protect Your Roses From Dread Diseases
    Like Black Spot--Without Nasty Chemicals, of Course!

Q. Mike: My climbing rose looks great from afar15 feet high and wide and full of foliage and blooms. But alas, it would be hard to find a leaf that doesn't show the telltale signs of black spot. In a few weeks the blooms will be finished and the foliage will begin to fall off. Bummer! I spray it thoroughly with the Cornell formula and am in the process of concocting some FCT (Fermented Compost Tea). Maybe that will do the trick.

But this has happened for the last 3 years, and I have yet to have any success in battling the Black Spot. IÂm concerned that my compost pile (which is inescapably in the same vicinity as the affected rose) may be tainted. Is there any chance that this compost is (inadvertently) spreading the black spotÂmaybe even to other plants? Do other plants get Black Spot? How exactly does BS spread? Thanks,
    ----Tim Kent; Ardmore, PA

A. Hmmmm. This is highly unusual, Tim. Despite many peopleÂs fear that ALL roses are one disease spore away from a respirator, many typesÂespecially climbersÂtend to be as tough as their thorns. ItÂs generally the Âlong-stemmed varietiesÂhybrid teas, floribundas and grandiflorasÂthat resist illness like a day care worker whose health insurance just ran out.

I can only guess you have that rare exceptionÂa black spot-prone climber. OR that the poor thing is so crowded any disease will have a field day.

Anywho, black spot is a fungus. It first appears as round black spots with distinctive frilly edges on rose leaves. Then the leaf turns yellow, the spots get bigger and the leaf falls off. And yes, if its bad enough, the whole plant will be bare by the middle of summer. It ONLY affects rosesÂno other plants, but it is hands-down the worst of the many, many diseases that affect roses.

And itÂs not the compost thatÂs keeping it goingÂitÂs the rose itself and/or the mulch underneath it. Like most rose illnesses, the disease overwinters in infected canes and in old mulch on the ground. The spores wake up when Spring warms up, multiply like a runny nose in a kindergarten class, and then the first rain splashes what are now billions of nasties back up onto the leavesÂoften completely infecting an entire plant in one single, warm, wet day. Then a new generation is born from those spores every two weeks.

ThatÂs why I always tell folks with disease-prone rosesÂagain, all of this advice applies to battling ANY disease, not just black spotÂto remove all the old mulch from around their plants VERY early in the Spring, replace it with an inch of fresh compost on top of the soil, and replace THAT with a fresh inch once a month throughout the season.

The compost itself will physically smother some of the little diseasey guys. And organisms in the compost will create an environment thatÂs hostile to disease reproduction, compete with disease organisms for food, andÂmy favoriteÂeat any new spores that drop down. You GO, compost!

You also need to prune off any bad looking stuff as soon as the plants start to leaf out in the Spring. (Always cut well PAST obvious signs of infection, into nice healthy tissue to keep disease off your pruners, and donÂt let your prunings hit the ground.) And, of course, remove any infected leaves as soon as they reveal their nasty selves.

Rose Health Insurance Plan: Spray weekly with The Cornell Formula, regular compost tea, Fermented Compost Tea, aerated compost tea, a commercial sulfur spray orÂeven betterÂa rotation of several of these. Always spray in the morning, always remove any discolored leaves before spraying, always make sure to soak the undersides of the leaves, and never use a sprayer that has held herbicides, pesticides or other chemicals.

The Cornell Formula.
    Â In one gallon of water, mix and repeatedly shake:
    Â 1 tablespoon baking soda
    Â 2 drops dishwashing liquid or insecticidal soap
     1 tablespoon oil. You can use vegetable oil, but Âhorticultural oil will work better, especially one of the new lighter-weight "summer oils". (Cowboy Gardeners: Do NOT use motor oil or WD-40 or any other such foolish thing.)

Regular compost tea
    Early in the morning, place some of your finest quality compost in a porous cloth container and put it in a container full of cool water (an old sock for a gallon of water; a pillowcase or burlap sack in a clean trash can full; if its city water, let it sit for a day first and stir it a few times). Let it steep for 24 hours, then strain the liquid that next morning and spray immediately; you want to use it right away to get the maximum number of little compost guys fighting for you. (Return the contents of your Âtea bag to your compost pile.)

Fermented compost tea ("FCT")
    Take some brewed compost tea, place it in a bucket with a mosquito screen over the top and let it sit out in a shady spot for two weeks. Scrape off the scum, avoid the sediment on the bottom, strain and spray; fermentation makes for a very potent disease-fighting spray. (Return both scum and sediment to your compost pile!)

Aerated compost tea
    Again, make a batch of compost tea in the morning, but drop some aquarium bubblers in there to add air as it brewsÂor use one of the commercial devices that do this, like The Soil Soup machine or Gardens AliveÂs "Compost Tea kit". That extra air will greatly multiply the number of helpful little compost guys in your tea.

If THAT doesnÂt keep black spot and other dread diseases at bay, youÂve probably got crowded, wet roses that are gasping for air. NEVER water overhead, and NEVER water in the evening. If a rose needs water, let a hose drip at its base for an hour in the morning.

Increase the airflow around your roses by pruning away or removing any big plants that have grown too close, and by pruning the rose itselfÂespecially branches that are crossing and any branches in the center. Climbing roses especially like to have a lot of airspace down below, so take out some canes the first couple of feet down there. And if you could ask Superman to turn the plant so that it gets morning sun, so much the better.

You Bet Your Garden ©2004 Mike McGrath

• shesoldier
    Original Author
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

thanks for the advice!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES