Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
why do you put VC in bags to make tea

Posted by barbararose21101 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 13, 14 at 10:49

Is there any reason to put VC in a bag to brew tea ?
Is there any reason the VC can't be loose to brew & strained after ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: why do you put VC in bags to make tea

Tea bags are not necessary. They can be used to avoid straining after brewing.

I don't use bags, and only strain afterward IF I want to foliar-feed plants with my water-can. It plugs easily.

o

After you are finished with brewing the tea AND you have had the VC in a bag you can easily place the contents back in your potting soil area. Straining takes a lot of time. Since the "clock is ticking" after you finish the brew cycle straining gives it time to get just that much weaker.

o

My neighbour uses a sprayer (the one she carried on her back) and large pieces will clog the spray nozzle.

o

If you don't wanna use bags (and I don't use them), all you have to do is strain the tea with an ordinary kitchen flour sifter and the tea will not clog any sprayer I've ever seen.

And don't throw away the dregs.....put em in the garden/planter/yard.

chuckiebtoo

o

No obviously you dont have to but since I want to foliar spray when I make tea its easier quicker. When Im done with the bagged vc I mix it in with any usable soil. When I separated the vc after use today to make tea I noticed there were small worms in the mix. I keep my harvested vc in a 5gal bucket so Im guessing these worms came from cocoons that I missed during harvest. I keep the bucket covered to try and keep the vc as moist as I can. Hopefully this will keep microbes active or ready to be active. The most noticeable thing Ive noticed so far of using the tea is many more blooms per plant. Im sure there must be other perks from it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here