Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tracydr

Did BSFL eat my worms?

tracydr
13 years ago

As of last week, everything was alive and well. Then, I noticed a huge BSFL hatch. It's been really, really hot. I have my worms in a 22 gallon bin in the shade. I harvested about one month ago and returned them to the container with new shredded paper, lots of pine needles and some of their unfinished vermicompost. Have been feeding as usual, on one side of the bin.

Today, I can't find a single worm! Before, there was probably 50 per handful of large, fat worms and even more babies. Now I can barely even find a casing!

There are still some BSFL but they seem to have lessened. Could they have eaten my worms and then hatched?

Will there be enough casings to reseed my bin? I guess I need to wait until cooler weather to do anything. It was a touch drier than usual so I added more cardboard and a little water, thinking that may help. I also took it off the picnic bench and put it on the ground, hoping if the worms went "to ground" that they may return when conditions improve. Any suggestions other than just raise BSFLs for the summer? They are creepy and I really prefer my worms but I guess they're better than nothing.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA