Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do snails & slugs eat earthworms?

Posted by borderbarb (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 4, 10 at 12:31

While searching on another matter, I came across this snip of info. I often find slugs on the carpet/wood covers to my in-ground worm pit. I have always just thought that these creasures only eat plant matter and that they were there because of moisture and plant matter in the bedding,and always kill them. But now I wonder if they are also there to eat worms.
//////
http://psychology.wikia.com/wiki/Earthworms
Scroll down to 'ecology'
...snip.... . Earthworms are also eaten by many invertebrates such as ground beetles and other beetles, snails, slugs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Worms eaten by ......snails, slugs

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do snails & slugs eat earthworms?

Are slugs the same as roly poly's? If so, I've been told and have seen pictures of other bins where they are supposed to be a benefit because they start to break down the food. I have lots of them in my outside bins!

o

Nope... a slug is a naked snail (without a shell).

o

Yes, some do. This variety attacks earthworms as it's main food supply.

Hammerhead slug!

http://kenfuller.exactpages.com/ALplanaria0.html

o

I think they may also be present in Louisiana. I have seen something very similar-extremely long and thin with the same shaped head. Usually they show up on the front walk after a rain. Thought they were just another species of earthworm.

o

I just noticed them this year and after reading about them on Dave's Garden, I put salt on them. I LOVE my earthworms way too much to have those slimy things killing them. It freaks me out that if you cut them in half, even accidentally that they grow into TWO of the earthworm killers.

I will eraticate them as soon as I seem them.

o

Yes, slugs eat worms! I once found a huge slug that had half a worm sticking out of its underside.

Bluelake, a slug does not turn into two slugs when you cut it in half. And contrary to belief, when you cut an earthworm in half, it does die.

Cheers!

o

We had the hammerheads everywhere in So Cal. At first I also thought they were just another earthworm and I was horrified to find out they were predators. (And I didn't even keep worms then!)

o

pdx,

I was talking about the type of slug that I linked to, the Hammerhead Worm (land planarian) (Bipalium kewense, and it will regenerate, they have like 5 hearts.

o

"So, if you chop the flatworm into 7 pieces, you will end up with 7 new worms!"
Check this out:
http://www.allaboutworms.com/are-hammerhead-worms-a-threat-to-humans
I hope I will never see one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here