Return to the Vermicomposting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
worm food

Posted by fam62cc (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 27, 10 at 12:34

Wow;Do those worms like watermelon!! I put some watermelon rinds in the top layer of all three towers. I thought that it would take 3 to 5 days for them to ripen to the point that they would attract the worms, but the very next day the worms were already swarming over the rinds.

I will soon have to harvest another tray.

Dave Nelson

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: worm food

LOL, I know. I've really enjoyed watching my worms go crazy over some watermelon rinds. This was my first time to put them in. I have 2 triangles of it mid way down and 2 newer pieces on the top. I TRY and pace my self at peeking.

I went to my dad's farm this morning and saw the rind of an entire watermelon out in field. I really wanted to get it, but I have enough rind in my freezer for a year.

o

They are sweet freaks! I had some peaches that I spent a few days ripening, they smelled great and had good flavor, but were mealy so I decided just to use them for smoothies. This also meant I could be lazy and not spend the time peeling and cutting them into slices. So I just sliced off chunks as close to the pit as I could get and stuck the rest in the bins. They won't eat the pit, but they sure picked it clean!

o

Yup, they went nuts over a paper towel that had peach jam on it in my bin. Huge squirming pile of sugar-mad worms.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vermicomposting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here