Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smalltowngal_gw

Do worms multiple faster?

smalltowngal
13 years ago

If they're given more room? Or do they do better in a smaller environment? Right now, I'm more concerned about increasing my population faster than about getting finished compost. I have a stacking system with only one drawer on it but up to 4 that can I add. Should I go ahead and start preparing the next drawer and put it on top or should I wait until the worms are almost finished with the drawer they're in?

Comments (14)

• monkeyknifefight
    13 years ago

I'm not expert but I wouldn't think the volume of space available to the worms would affect the rate of reproduction. It's gonna be more dependent on the overall health of the environment for the worms. If they really like their bins they will reproduce quite quickly.

But I would think the more volume will mean they will in the end reproduce to greater numbers to fit their environment. But in that case I would think more drawers (and thus depth) would not be as good as spreading to greater surface area.

Either way I don't see volume affecting the rate of reproduction but I could be wrong.

• randomz
    13 years ago

If the stuff in the existing tray won't touch the bottom of the tray above it, then not many worms will get at the stuff in the top tray. So you either need to set it up to work independantly, put in bedding, worms and food, or wait a little longer.

Any idea how many worms in the current tray? Lots or not so many?

• folly_grows
    13 years ago

Worms need to find each other to reproduce; if you have too many trays going, there will be too many parties for them to wander through. Keep using the the first tray until it is about 3/4 full of vermicompost, then add the second tray.

I have a five-tray Worm Factory and after 22 months, only three trays are actively worming. The bottom tray I fill with paper to catch any wanderers and to aid in aeration. Trays two and three are VC at different degrees of finishing (no bedding)and full of worms. Tray four is the feeding tray and is 3/4 paper and cardboard. The top tray is mostly empty. I rip up egg cartons and store them in here to absorb moisture and get ready for when it will become the feeding tray.

But back to your question about a smaller environment ... Last year I did an experiment with worms in a 2-gallon plastic jar. I used lots of cardboard squares, small amounts of food once a month, and left them alone in a darkened cupboard. On 2/16/2009 I began with 30 adult worms. On 3/18/2009 I dumped and counted 50+ worms and 80+ cocoons. On 4/18/2009 my final dump and count showed: 377+ worms and 46+ cocoons.

• folly_grows
    13 years ago

...That the bottom of each tray needs to touch VC/bedding in the tray below in order for the worms to migrate They will go up or down according to the amount of light, heat, moisture and food.

• smalltowngal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

There are about 500 worms in the bin at my best guess. I fed them about a cup of food and let them get use to the bin for a couple weeks and then added a moldy strawberry and a large piece of watermelon rind. Some are still on the original food, which is unrecognizable except for the banana peel, but most have found their way to the water melon piece. I have a bunch of food in my freezer that I chopped up but am waiting until the rind is mainly gone. They were younger when I got them and a couple might be just becoming adults. I didn't know if they would produce as quickly if they felt crowded. I don't even know how many worms is considered crowded in a stackable system.

My bin is 16" x 13.2" and 3.5" deep.

• steamyb
    13 years ago

2/6/10 (an old post)
    My granddaughter Chloe (age 9) just finished her 10 week science project. The project was a comparison between two (2) worm boxes which were 6 quart plastic containers. Each container was prepared with one (1) pound of Black Kow pasteurized manure (available at LoweÂs), shredded cardboard and worm tea as an inoculate of microbes. Container A started with ten (10) adult worms and Container B started with 20 cocoons. Both boxes were kept together in the house (aver. temp 66F). These boxes were not feed but the moisture level was checked regularly. The results were hand counted by my son and my granddaughter created a poster board for the presentation.
    The results:
    Container A started with 10 Adult Worms: 12 Adults, 47 Adolescents, and 120 Cocoons
    Container B started with 20 Cocoons: 11 Adults, 4 Adolescents, and 38 Cocoons
    These results would imply that the smaller container with adult breeder worms would reproduce at the acknowledged rate of a doubled population in 3 months as stated in several resources. I would guess that; #1- the smaller the container, the easier it is for worms to copulate. Finding a partner, would be difficult in a larger container considering worms are blind, deaf and socially inept. And #2- worms lack the access to match.com or eharmony.com, which definitely puts them into the singles bars where they are sure to get STDs.

• randomz
    13 years ago

As I read it, both containers were the same size.

The difference was mainly the life cycle.

The adults in A were probably ready to drop cocoons at the start, whereas B had a long way to go before even starting to reproduce.

In essence, I don't think it proved much at all.

It's a bit like organising a race between boys and girls. The girls get to start half way to the finish line. When they finish first, the conclusion is made that girls are faster than boys.

• steamyb
    13 years ago

ItÂs a bit like posting to a forum. Some folks get it, others- not so much. You are correct about the containers (and conditions- temp, food, moisture, etc.) being the same. And there was a big difference in the life stages of the worms compared (cocoons vs. adult breeders). The reason I posted this was to confirm that the smaller container was preferred for reproduction purposes over a larger container.
    I stated that it was a guess that worms are socially inept (it is a fact that they are blind and deaf- having no eyes or ears is the tip-off). Also my worms are not allowed on my computer (others may allow this- but I donÂt think it is a good thing). And I donÂt know for sure, but everyone else tells me that most bars a crawling with STDs, so I wonÂt let my worms go there. Besides, I would end up being the designated driver, and I hate that (although I strongly support the practice- DonÂt Drink and Drive).

• xpoc454
    13 years ago

I am planning a science fair project myself for my son soon.
    I have judged many middle school science fairs so I have a little background.

My first question to a student with this project above would have been:

I see that you kept the temps, moisture and food consistant, why didn't you start with similar aged worms?

Do you think that age of the worms could have effected which container would have more worms in the end?

Im going to post my idea for a project now to see if anyone has suggestions for my son.

jim

• smalltowngal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I suppose someone could do a project where they have containers of different size but other conditions are the same. One container could be 1 gallon and one container being 5 gallons. See if there is a noticeable difference in how much they reproduce. I have a larger rubbermaid container and even though it's bigger, all the worms are in the same location where the food is so I don't think they will have an issue finding each other to mate. My bin is fairly new though and I'm sure it will make a difference when there will be food, at different stages of decomposition, more evenly distributed through out the container. Maybe someone who has more worms than I could run an experiment where all the conditions are the same except for container size unless that has already been done on here.

• xpoc454
    13 years ago

The tricky part is the worms. You would have to guestimate on them a little. I am sure worms exactly the same size don't reproduce exactly the same way. But you could get them as close as possible.

• karendee
    13 years ago

I sure hope mine multiply fast!!!

I want to start a second bin someday and eventually process all my food scraps. Right now I will not be able to process much.

I have a small FT too..

Karen

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    13 years ago

What the experiment proved was something along the lines of if a worm cost a collar and two cocoons cost a dollar then the worms are a better buy. But if a worm cost a dollar at some point some amount of cocoons for a dollar is going to be a better deal, maybe 20, because in 10 weeks you will have more worms than the guy who bought a worm. Cost analysis.

Children's worm experiments do not need to meet the requirements of a million dollar goverment study. The results that count are not the experiement results but the students increased interest in how the world works.

Lonely worms don't need another worm.

Worms congragating around food or the bottom of the bin easily find each other. A little extra crawling is not going to deter them. What I wonder is any worm as good a choice as any other or do they comparason shop?

• borderbarb
    13 years ago

May I suggest a "summer vacation" for some of your worms?

My worm pit [home to uncountable tens of thousands today]started very casually on top of a compost pile that was topped with horse manure. I meant it just as a temporary holding place 'till I could prep a "real" bin. Long-story-short ... the real bin never materialized and the temp pit now has permanent wooden sides..... Well, the point is that the few worms that I put into that "temp" arrangement have multiplied like crazy! I have since given away several batches of at least 1000 worms to two families.

So, If you have a place you can put together a similar 'pit' and give a few of your worms a nice vacation bedded in manure and kitchen wastes ... they might generate a gratifying 'herd' to be housed in bins when the weather turns cold. My guys are out doors year around. I have to worry more about keeping them moist, rather than warm.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor