Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boreal_wormer

Bug Zapper For Killing Fungus Gnats / Fruit Flies?

boreal_wormer
13 years ago

Has anyone tried an electronic bug zapper for controlling fungus gnats / fruit flies? Size wise these pests are about the same as mosquitoes but I'm not sure they're attracted to UV light. I noticed a small model advertised for $30 recently but hesitated because of the power required (not a very green solution). Perhaps it would only have to be on for a day or two at a time?

Comments (7)

• 11otis
    13 years ago

I have that one that looks like a badminton racquet but the gnats slipped through the webbing. I scored more with mosquitoes, which are bigger than gnats around here.

• boreal_wormer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cythan I am interested in the info about your bug zapper.

• sbryce_gw
    11 years ago

No Pest Strips will control a fungus gnat and fruit fly infestation.

• rog64ert
    8 years ago

Cythan, I realize it has been a while, but this post is the most helpful. We live in a wooded area, near a protected wetland, and also have a Guinea pig. We will be trying your insecticide, but also are interested in the bug zapper as well. Do you still have the information from the box?

• hummersteve
    8 years ago

I dont know about outside but inside the ole "apple cider vinegar" works like a charm for fruit flies. I put a little in a dish/bowl , add a drop of dish soap, cover with cling wrap and punch tiny holes for the flies to enter, they will go in but wont come back out. Place near where they are congregating even if its right on your worm bin . This does not work for gnats. Its also easy to tell which you have. Gnats are slow long legged fliers and fruit flies are fast fliers. It seems the FF are the ones attracted to the worm bins as they try to lay eggs in the food you put in thats why its important to cover with a nice layer of shredded paper each time.

• Molly
    6 years ago

I would like to no which bug zapper is best