Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
soulcalm

vermicomposting using canadian nightcrawlers

soulcalm
15 years ago

Hello everyone. I am new here and also new to composting. I am really interested in trying my hand at composting. I want to start small. If successful, I will expand. I have been setting aside our food waste(I am a vegetarian)and have about a big pot's worth of scrap.

Yesterday, my husband went to our Walmart's bait department, and asked the clerk if the worms they had in their fridge (canadian nightcrawlers) could be used for composting. My husband was told, "yes". But, these worms are refridgerated and the compost bin has to heat up. I searched the internet, and found that the best worms to use are the red wigglers and the european nightcrawlers.

Did my husband waste money purchasing the Canadian nightcrawlers? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (8)

• lkittle
    15 years ago

Hi soulcalm! Canadian nightcrawlers do not do well in a conventional worm bin environment. They require special conditions in order to stay alive and in good condition while in captivity. The biggest factor is the temperature. It should be no more than 48-50 deg F.. They also need special bedding to do well BUSS-Bedding or some similar type. The feeding has to be on top and the crawlers will come to the surface and pull it into their burrows.

On the side of red wigglers (Eisenia fotida) or European Night Crawlers (Eisenia hortensis) the composting worms they do much better in higher temps up to 80 or 90 deg F air temp ( bin in shade will be in low 80s) at 90+ deg F due to evaporation. This site and several others will help with info on general worm care.

I would take the Canadian Crawlers fishing while waiting for some red composting worms to arrive after ordering some.

• soulcalm
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for your reply lkittle. I was almost certain I could not use them for composting. I was just hoping for the slightest chance that I could. I will be picking up some red ones. Thanks again.

• brcooks
    15 years ago

Hi soulcam. Your question reminded me of one of my more embarrassing moments. Almost 20 years ago, I heard something about vermicomposting and decided to try it. There wasn't a lot of information available, and I did little research. I ended up buying nightcrawlers from a bait shop. I was so excited when I set up my little rubbermaid bin in the kitchen. I was going to make black gold. Poor little worms! When I got up the next day, walked into the kitchen, there were little worm bodies stuck to the floor, about half way to the patio door. I don't think any of them made it to freedom. I felt horrible, and my roommate at the time made sure I didn't forget the masacre. It was many years before I had the heart to take it up again. This time, I did more research and a good friend donated worms from her bin. Now I've been at it for a few months and all is going well.

Good luck!

• billynjennifer
    15 years ago

I noticed that our local Wal-Mart does have red wrigglers. There is supposed to be 24 to a container. I purchased several containers and started my worm bin with them. So far so good. They've acclimated in pretty well, as I have found egg cases while checking in the bedding a bit to see how things are going.

• derek_lungs_btinternet_com
    12 years ago

hi my name is derek trying to start breeding blackhead worms just for mates who fish what is the best WAY TO BREED THEM AND HOW DO YOU KEEP THEM ALIVE CHEERS

• Jcdaniels2
    10 years ago

Well that's weird because I have plenty of Canadian night crawlers in my bin with tons of red wigglers an they seem to be doing just fine I've had them for over 2 months

• chuckiebtoo
    10 years ago

Tons? I'm gonna get me some of them Canadians!!

Chuckiebtoo

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living