Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karendee_gw

I am so impatient! (and newbie update)

karendee
13 years ago

I want some VC soon. However, I started my bin around mother's day. :(

I have some flowers outside that need a boost. I may just have to resort to buying worm poop.

I also have lots of fruit flies even though I froze all my scraps first.

I have a few bags of scraps left. The kids keep eating cantelope and honeydew. SO I have lots of yummies.

The worms seem happy. the bin is not very smelly. The veggies had some broccoli in them before I processed them in the food processor. (those smell some)

I am tempted to dump the whole FT bin in a container and check things out then dump back in.

At the bottom I put a nice thick layer of newspaper.

I guess I cannot feed more till they eat the foods I added that were processed? It was cardboard egg carton mixed with processed veggies.

I also have leftover corn and peas. I wonder if too much starch at a time is a problem.

sorry for the rant. I really am ready for the worms to work hard and then multiply!

I did see them mating at least 2 different times. That was great (but kind of yucky looking)! I also saw a small worm about 1/2-3/4 inches long and none were that short when I bought them.

Karen

Comments (10)

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    13 years ago

"I am tempted to dump the whole FT bin in a container and check things out then dump back in." I do this whenever the spirit moves me. It is more fun than a barel of monkeys. I learn a lot about what is going on in the bin this way.

• karendee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

equinoxequinox that is the push I needed! Now I can observe where the worms are gathered and see if my set up was working.

I am probably going to dump them tonight and check them out!!

WHOO HOO, what a fun Friday night worm party at my house.

lol
    Karen

• pjames
    13 years ago

Karen if you are going to bother to dump them out anyway first get yourself a couple tools. A coarse sifter and a collander with about 1/4 in or less holes. Then you can get some of the castings you want for your flowers.

I did a week or so before I set up my FT. Reason being, I needed the castings for tea and once I set up my FT I did not want to disturb it. I want the castings to drop and eventually come out the bottom with as little compost as possible. I know I will still have to sift what comes out the bottom but alot of the work will be eliminated.

• karendee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

pjams a great idea! I was about to strain but most looked unfinished to me.

the good news is that worms were spread all through the bin!

I also had cocoons! WOOO HOOO!!! I was so glad!

I am going to dump again because I was able to add food to the bottom then fluff the bedding and add more shredded newspaper. I layerd tiny bits of new food (moldy stuff) with the old bedding and worms.

The melons and apple I put in were 100% gone! No evidence of them....

I am so glad so far no sign of dead worms anywhere

Karen

• pjames
    13 years ago

The stuff you know that is 100% gone is now castings. Those castings may be stuck to bedding but it is still castings.. If you need it just put a few handfuls of compost at a time into your collander and sift.. You will know the castings as they drop through.

• randomz
    13 years ago

Why do you want to add food to the bottom?

Most of us want the bottom to be only castings, no food, bedding, cocoons or babies.

• smalltowngal
    13 years ago

I'm tempted to empty out my rubber maid bin and look through it. All my worms in there seem to be hiding. I know they're there and eating because the food is disappearing. I just don't see many when I lift up the food and check on them.

On the flipside, I see tons of worms in my stackable bin. It seems like most of them hide out on the food. A lot of those worms are younger though and maybe younger ones hide on the food more than older, more developed worms.

• karendee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

smalltowngal I too did not see many worms at the top. Just a few hiding in the cardboard covers I add on the top.

I wanted to dump to make sure I was not killing them or any had died.

I added food through the bin. I had lots of seed starting mix/soil I dumped in and the whole bin was full. I wanted to try to add some microbes to the bottom half since it may have mostly been soil and paper. I thought that might give me rich castings down there someday.

I am very new so anything i do is an experiment. I only added cantelope rinds at the bottom and middle of the bin. Just a few also.

From now on I will continue adding just to the top of the bin.

Since I now know they are laying cocoons I may start a rubbermaid bin or another flow through eventually.

I am stocking lots of scraps in the freezer and want to eventually be able to add more scraps to the bins.

I also have mine in my cooler basement so things may be moving slower.

I am really glad I dumped it all. I was worried since I had so much soil they may not be happy. I was wrong they were spread out all through the FT bin. It was so much fun and I got used to handling the worms!

I had a large plastic storage bucket thing. I dumped and rolled the material around so I could peek at all the worms.

Next I added back in and layered with shredded wet newspaper and a little rotten food here and there. (I added it in small amounts so it would not heat up)

On top I added a small sprinkle of oatmeal on one corner and the food that was on top. then cover with shredded news paper and then my wet cardboard pieces. there are a few worms already in the cardboard. they love it wet and slimy from the glue :)

I hope my newbie observations and ideas help. If anyone sees somehting I did that could kill my worms please let me know. I am here to learn!!

• 11otis
    13 years ago

"I had lots of seed starting mix/soil I dumped in ...."
    "I was worried since I had so much soil they may not be happy."
    Beware of store bought soil, it might contain chemicals.

• karendee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

"Beware of store bought soil, it might contain chemicals. "
    thanks it was seed starting mix. No fertlizer or chemicals added. I try to keep chemicals out. It was old too but I had the package so I checked. I sure hope the worms are ok.
    So far they seem to like it. I also rinsed it out a couple times