Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowersnow_gw

vermicomposting in schools

flowersnow
12 years ago

I was wondering if there were any teachers out here who have done vermicomposting in the school (lunch food)? If so, how do you do it? What kind of bins? Where do you have the bins? How do you collect the castings? What do you do with the castings? Thanks!

Comments (5)

• plumiebear
    12 years ago

I'm not a teacher, but I have given some thought to this idea. My sister was involved with my niece's school recycling program and we considered how this might be done.

I'll start with the "issues". The kids would need to be trained to throw worm suitable scraps into a separate trash bin. Realistically, even with smart & disciplined kids, this will probably still mean someone will need to sort through this garbage.

You need to determine the amount of food scraps generated per week. You also need to have an idea of the types of food. Grains & breads are ok, but if you have too much relative to veggies & fruits it could be a problem. You will almost definitely need a pre-composting routine with multiple compost tumblers.

Most schools have funding limits (understatement) and worms are expensive. You need thousands of dollars worth of worms if you want to immediately start processing all of the food waste.

Fully enclosed and possibly ventilated flow-through bins are the easiest to maintain and harvest. In MI you may need to heat them in the winter...or at least provide a shed to shelter them. Harvesting castings from this system is fairly easy. You could use them in the school's gardens.

The person in charge of the school garden at my niece's school finally decided a large vermicomposting system would cost too much & require too much time to maintain. They opted for a couple of donated stacking bins that could be started with a few pounds of worms. The kids could still learn about worm composting. I think some classrooms also maintain their own small RM worm bin.

I don't want to discourage you. I think it's great that you are thinking about this. If you can get a grant, here's a system that would solve many of the issues:
    https://www.yelmworms.com/large-scale-systems/

If you have parent volunteers with mechanical skills, such a bin could be built for a fraction of the cost.

Andrew

• socks
    12 years ago

I did it on a small scale in a blue Rubbermaid. When finished with lunch, the 3rd gr. kids put their scraps in the bin. Not all kids were interested, so there were not too many scraps. It was fun.

• socks
    12 years ago

I did it on a small scale in a blue Rubbermaid. When finished with lunch, the 3rd gr. kids put their scraps in the bin. Not all kids were interested, so there were not too many scraps. It was fun.

• kalantasgardens
    12 years ago

Helped a teacher introduce vermicomposting to students for a subject.

It's going to be an on-going project to really instill this fun activity to a student's lifestyle in the years to come..

• african
    12 years ago

Cheapest way for schools is to use the traditional stacked tire worm farm

Here is a link that might be useful: traditional worm farming

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County